Forums > Critique > Photographers... I'm in a mood to critique.

Photographer

K E E L I N G

Posts: 39820

Peoria, Illinois, US

... the drama going on in Site Related has put me in that mood.  From past experience I can tell you that mood won't last long, these things are just too time consuming.

So if you're interested offer yourself up, I will speak to your work and your work only.  I will be extremely complimentary if I think you deserve it, or I will be extremely harsh if you deserve that... or anything inbetween.

Newbies to photography.... I will be forgiving of a lack of quality, I cut my teeth here when I first started and realize there is a learning curve... I will try to help you any way I can.

Veterans... good luck.


Do not ask me about how to run workshops, how to get published, or anything that doesn't pertain to your portfolio as it sits right now.  This is about your work.

Again.... this thread will most likely have a short life span.

Sep 12 13 11:56 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Posts: 4344

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Go for it, and although I understand I don't have authority to tell you to take the gloves off, I do want you to know that it's okay with me personally and would probably be helpful.

Sep 12 13 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

MesmerEyes Photography

Posts: 3026

Tyler, Texas, US

Jeffrey M Fletcher wrote:
Go for it, and although I understand I don't have authority to tell you to take the gloves off, I do want you to know that it's okay with me personally and would probably be helpful.

Same here! Just because I have only been on here for a little over a year doesn't mean you have to treat me with kid gloves. I'm a big boy and can take it. I also know that a few of my images are "crap" so I know it's coming.

Let the games begin. wink

Sep 12 13 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

B The Image

Posts: 45

Grand Haven, Michigan, US

Go ahead, every one laugh, but I just do this for fun......and Id like to get a lot better.  Thanks

Sep 12 13 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Posts: 3494

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Okay smile

Sep 12 13 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

Personal Photograph

Posts: 245

Davenport, Iowa, US

Have a look Chris.  I think you'll see some models you'll recognize.

Sep 12 13 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

K E E L I N G

Posts: 39820

Peoria, Illinois, US

Jeffrey M Fletcher wrote:
Go for it, and although I understand I don't have authority to tell you to take the gloves off, I do want you to know that it's okay with me personally and would probably be helpful.

I like.  You have a good sense of balance and tone, and you definitely have specific thought process and direction that you are taking each image.

My only negative thought when looking at your work is sometimes things get a bit to busy within the frame.  I understand that blending different elements of the composition is the point and gets your vision across, but be careful with it, it can get to jumbled and take away from where the picture is going at times.

Sep 12 13 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

michael___

Posts: 303

New York, New York, US

sure thing wink

Sep 12 13 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

Adam J Caldwell

Posts: 289

London, England, United Kingdom

fire away. cheeeers

Sep 12 13 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

K E E L I N G

Posts: 39820

Peoria, Illinois, US

MesmerEyes Photography wrote:

Same here! Just because I have only been on here for a little over a year doesn't mean you have to treat me with kid gloves. I'm a big boy and can take it. I also know that a few of my images are "crap" so I know it's coming.

Let the games begin. wink

Learn to use light as a tool instead of just shooting with no regard to it.  The pictures of the girl in the swamp are absolutely horrible in this respect, it's midday sun and all that entails.  Harsh dark shadows under the eyes, no directional light to add something to the images at all.  My advice to you is to take every one of them out of your portfolio, they are killing you. 

This picture is an example of how light can help you....

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120901/11/50425a035a394_m.jpg

It's directional and soft.  You got close to blowing out her shirt closest to the light source, but right now I think it's more important that you learn what light does as far as direction and composition in the frame than what it does in relation to exposure.

Figure it out, until you do your work is suffering.

Sep 12 13 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Rudolph Uhlman Photo

Posts: 164

Beaverton, Oregon, US

I would like a critique of my portfolio.

Sep 12 13 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

SHX Photo

Posts: 7

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

I would like love to hear what you have to say.
Thanks for taking the time to critique.

Sep 12 13 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Joseph William

Posts: 2025

Chicago, Illinois, US

If you are still at this, I would love to hear your opinion.

Sep 12 13 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Wordmarque

Posts: 459

Alexandria, Virginia, US

How short is short?

Sep 12 13 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

Canvassy

Posts: 199

Saint Paul, Minnesota, US

I still consider myself a newbie, and I've never been critiqued on MM before.  I'd love to hear what you think smile

Sep 12 13 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Merry

Posts: 1667

London, England, United Kingdom

I'm a little scared, but why not? tongue
I think I'm somewhere in between newbie and veteran, but please do!

Sep 12 13 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Posts: 2918

Port Townsend, Washington, US

okay, i am IBTL and the briggings. have at it. what i personally would like to know is what i can do to possibly reach a wider and more lucrative audience. because i have been going absolutely nowhere for quite some time.

Sep 12 13 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Swank Photography

Posts: 19015

Key West, Florida, US

K E E L I N G wrote:
... the drama going on in Site Related has put me in that mood.  From past experience I can tell you that mood won't last long, these things are just too time consuming.

So if you're interested offer yourself up, I will speak to your work and your work only.  I will be extremely complimentary if I think you deserve it, or I will be extremely harsh if you deserve that... or anything inbetween.

Newbies to photography.... I will be forgiving of a lack of quality, I cut my teeth here when I first started and realize there is a learning curve... I will try to help you any way I can.

Veterans... good luck.


Do not ask me about how to run workshops, how to get published, or anything that doesn't pertain to your portfolio as it sits right now.  This is about your work.

Again.... this thread will most likely have a short life span.

Sure why not...and thank you Keeling...always been a fan of your work (not ass kissing, just being honest).

Sep 12 13 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

MesmerEyes Photography

Posts: 3026

Tyler, Texas, US

K E E L I N G wrote:

Learn to use light as a tool instead of just shooting with no regard to it.  The pictures of the girl in the swamp are absolutely horrible in this respect, it's midday sun and all that entails.  Harsh dark shadows under the eyes, no directional light to add something to the images at all.  My advice to you is to take every one of them out of your portfolio, they are killing you. 

This picture is an example of how light can help you....

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120901/11/50425a035a394_m.jpg

It's directional and soft.  You got close to blowing out her shirt closest to the light source, but right now I think it's more important that you learn what light does as far as direction and composition in the frame than what it does in relation to exposure.

Figure it out, until you do your work is suffering.

Thanks, those were the exact images that I thought were crap and taken over a year ago. wink

Sep 12 13 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

K E E L I N G

Posts: 39820

Peoria, Illinois, US

16th Floor wrote:
Go ahead, every one laugh, but I just do this for fun......and Id like to get a lot better.  Thanks

Everything is bland... it's just kind of there.  Nothing pops off the page.  Your composition within the frame is ok, your light is kinda ok but nothing creative.  But exposure is a bit dark for no reason and there's no contrast... not because you were trying to be creatively flat... just because there's no contrast.

Push yourself a bit.

Sep 12 13 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

K E E L I N G

Posts: 39820

Peoria, Illinois, US

Rik Williams wrote:
Okay smile

Meh, you don't need me.

Ok, wth, I gotta say something or I'm not doing my job.  I don't like her hand or the way when she pulls down the shirt it makes her legs look misshapen and thin.

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120610/00/4fd449015805b_m.jpg

Other than that... you don't need me.  smile

Sep 12 13 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Foto Kammer

Posts: 614

Amado, Arizona, US

Interested in reading what you have to say.

Sep 12 13 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

W Hughes Studio

Posts: 27

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

If you're still reviewing, I'd like to know your thoughts.

Sep 12 13 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Posts: 6581

Elkton, Maryland, US

WTF, I need some serous insults.  Go for it with no mercy.  big_smile

Sep 12 13 01:54 pm Link

Filmmaker

Val LOUIS

Posts: 28

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Do I dare ?
But as a filmmaker.. may I play ?

Sep 12 13 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

L Raye

Posts: 5028

Petaluma, California, US

Fire away!

Sep 12 13 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

K E E L I N G

Posts: 39820

Peoria, Illinois, US

Personal Photograph wrote:
Have a look Chris.  I think you'll see some models you'll recognize.

I love that chair in your port!

Sep 12 13 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Posts: 38558

Portland, Oregon, US

Excluding MelissaAnn and Brennan, are there any photos I should keep?

Sep 12 13 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

Dave McDermott

Posts: 451

Coill Dubh, Kildare, Ireland

OK fire away.

Sep 12 13 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Geek Photography

Posts: 87

Montgomery Village, Maryland, US

I'm always looking to improve. Let me know what you think.

Sep 12 13 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

K E E L I N G

Posts: 39820

Peoria, Illinois, US

Ok, clients here.. gotta go.  Thanks guys, might come back to this tomorrow cause as of now I've got nothing scheduled.

Sep 12 13 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

mjartphotography

Posts: 174

Milton Keynes, England, United Kingdom

Go for it!  Been ripped to shreds in some threads (one especially that's just been locked!) so I am interested in more opinions whether glowing or scathing.

Regards
Martin

Sep 12 13 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Posts: 4344

Asheville, North Carolina, US

K E E L I N G wrote:

I like.  You have a good sense of balance and tone, and you definitely have specific thought process and direction that you are taking each image.

My only negative thought when looking at your work is sometimes things get a bit to busy within the frame.  I understand that blending different elements of the composition is the point and gets your vision across, but be careful with it, it can get to jumbled and take away from where the picture is going at times.

Thanks, and it's a good point, I do find I'm trying to pare them down and clean them up more as I go on. I think it's a confidence issue.

Sep 12 13 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

JAE

Posts: 2141

West Chester, Pennsylvania, US

Interested smile

Sep 12 13 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Posts: 1944

Salem, Virginia, US

I can always use a critique, and you're a good guy to do it.  Thanks.

Sep 12 13 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Posts: 2600

Torrance, California, US

I'm curious to hear your point of view, so sure...let me have it.

Sep 13 13 01:57 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gaffney

Posts: 48

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I would greatly appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance,
Michael

Sep 14 13 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Posts: 7770

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Yes plz...

Sep 14 13 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

Dallas J. Logan

Posts: 2182

Brooklyn, New York, US

LETS HAVE A GO AT IT.

Sep 15 13 12:10 am Link

Photographer

Massi

Posts: 19

Los Angeles, California, US

I would appreciate the critique if you're still offering

Sep 15 13 07:26 am Link