Forums > Model Colloquy > Models who do not list details or use zero or n/a

Photographer

DGI Concepts

New York, New York, US

It is SUPER annoying when a model uses all zeros or n/a in her details.
I'm sorry ladies but what are we supposed to do guess your stats?
Isn't the goal here to show up in a search and get hired?
If you are serious about modeling kindly fill them in PLEASE!
Thank you

Mar 17 16 06:54 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

But some of the most beautiful ladies are over a hundred years old!
MM retirement village for models.

Mar 17 16 07:34 am Link

Photographer

DGI Concepts

New York, New York, US

The F-Stop wrote:
But some of the most beautiful ladies are over a hundred years old!
MM retirement village for models.

Perhaps but there are other stats besides age.

Mar 17 16 07:39 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Don't know 'bout you, but I look at a model's portfolio long before I look at her "details".  A picture is worth 1,000 details.

Mar 17 16 07:53 am Link

Photographer

DGI Concepts

New York, New York, US

I look too but to me I want to know stats too

Mar 17 16 07:55 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

No 'models' have replied yet to this thread, but based on previous threads on the same subject that have popped up over the years, allow me to offer some insight:

some models purposely leave info out, or change age to avoid popping up in search results.

for some members being sought out through this site is not their goal.

maybe they book work through other means, or only reach out, or maybe they no longer book work but want to keep an active profile for whatever reason.

to each their own.
in the meantime focus on working with people who are eager to work with you.

Mar 17 16 08:02 am Link

Photographer

DGI Concepts

New York, New York, US

I understand all that but it makes no sense to even be on MM if you don't want to be noticed.

Mar 17 16 08:06 am Link

Photographer

MN Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

Some models only want to answer casting calls or seek out photographers of their own choosing. 

I know at least one model on MM who started doing that because she was tired of getting mash notes from male models.  She also does the infamous no to nudes and has no nude photos in her portfolio, but she does actually do nudes.

Mar 17 16 08:17 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

DGI Concepts wrote:
I understand all that but it makes no sense to even be on MM if you don't want to be noticed.

Everyone has their reasons; it makes sense to them, and works for them, even if it doesn't make sense or work for you.

Maybe they used to be active and are taking a break.
Maybe they just maintain a MM portfolio and link clients to here.
Maybe the accounts are fake (unlikely).
There's many possibilities.
Whatever the reason, it's not something you can control.

Just accept that not everyone is trying to be available all the time.

Many members are hobbiests, and some professionals don't want to book through MM all the time.

Mar 17 16 08:21 am Link

Photographer

DGI Concepts

New York, New York, US

Yes I found that about 35% of the models here go Way beyond what their port says if asked DISCREETLY. smile

Mar 17 16 08:22 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

This may just be the stylist in me, but even when every detail is figured out I still ask a model what sizes they are, they are plenty of people who fill this information out once when they get a profile and then never update it. Asking is an extra step when searching for a particular project, but it has the added benefit of weeding out any models who are completely unprofessional e.g. ones who give you attitude for daring to ask.

I understand that it can be annoying (there are a lot of MM quirks that are), but at least this one has an easy fix.

Mar 17 16 08:22 am Link

Photographer

DGI Concepts

New York, New York, US

That's a good policy, some models post their current stats on their about me.

Mar 17 16 09:20 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

There's a good bit of work to be had here where stats matter little, if at all. What can matter is an individual style or look, or even just "professional, sober, on-time".

Model's targeting work where the stats don't matter, often the same work where stats can invite nuisance conversation, aren't being self defeating by leaving stats out.

Sometimes it's just models doing business, with a different business model.

Mar 17 16 10:34 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

I've found a lot can't work a tape measure.  Some guess.  Even if they have one, the numbers I get back are so far off their wrists would be at their calves or ankles at times.

Then they post something like: 32" bust, 34" waist, and 24" hips. Size 2.  Dyslexic maybe?

The other one is, "I don't know. My mom buys my clothes for me." even if they post their age as 24?

Maddening, but it is what it is.

Mar 17 16 10:41 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Alannah The Stylist

Los Angeles, California, US

Maybe you should just look for model's that have their stats listed or you could just ask them what their stats are.

Mar 17 16 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

DGI Concepts wrote:

Obviously that's not the goal of those models who withhold search information, and it's really not the the goal of Model Mayhem either.  MM is owned by an internet board company.  As such they do not have the goals, incentives or practices that a modeling agency does. MM does not make their money by people doing shoots.  If anything, members doing shoots together is a negative for them.

If a model doesn't provide the information or images necessary for you to hire her, move onto a model who does.   If a model doesn't want to be found in searches, there's a reason.   Forget her and move on.

Mar 17 16 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Alannah The Stylist wrote:
Maybe you should just look for model's that have their stats listed or you could just ask them what their stats are.

I ignore models with incomplete stats.

Mar 17 16 12:39 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

DGI Concepts wrote:

This used to be a fast-paced, active networking site for models to book paid work. Now, that function has moved over to sites like Instagram, Tumblr and other more generic social media outlets.

Many models still have accounts here, but far fewer are actively using this site for paid work, so they're simply not concerned about whether or not their stats are posted.

After nine years here and hundreds of shoots (including thousands of miles of travel) under my belt, I chose to take down my portfolio. I still have friends here, but these days models mostly know MM as a place where old men go to complain about why models don't do so-and-so, or why we aren't exactly everything they've ever dreamed of, or why we don't shoot TFP with every person who asks, or....

Basically, people complaining about models is why the models who are here don't give two shits about making sure their stats are accurate.

Mar 17 16 01:32 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Koryn wrote:
Basically, people complaining about models is why the models who are here don't give two shits about making sure their stats are accurate.

All this does is provide an excuse for people to be unprofessional.

In the event that a model, someone who by the way is participating in an industry built around looks, is unhappy that someone would have the "audacity" to expect measurements to be listed and correct then he or she should not be here. Similarly, I have to question the emotional/mental stability of anyone who would be so petty as to not list stats because "people complain about _________________". That's such a juvenile mindset, and not the kind of attitude I'd want on a set.
Model Mayhem is not some weird cult where once your portfolio is up you can never ever leave, nor do they magically delete every image ever uploaded from existence if a user decides to get rid of their profile, so models with this issue should leave.

Mar 17 16 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Koryn wrote:

This used to be a fast-paced, active networking site for models to book paid work. Now, that function has moved over to sites like Instagram, Tumblr and other more generic social media outlets.

Many models still have accounts here, but far fewer are actively using this site for paid work, so they're simply not concerned about whether or not their stats are posted.

After nine years here and hundreds of shoots (including thousands of miles of travel) under my belt, I chose to take down my portfolio. I still have friends here, but these days models mostly know MM as a place where old men go to complain about why models don't do so-and-so, or why we aren't exactly everything they've ever dreamed of, or why we don't shoot TFP with every person who asks, or....

I am an old man who does not complain.  I have had many great shoots with great models who are on MM.   smile

Mar 17 16 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

and maybe that was the intension?

i know a few models that prefer finding photographers rather than the other way around. they dont like showing up in searches. i wonder if that may be a good feature to opt out of searches?

Mar 17 16 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

DGI Concepts wrote:
It is SUPER annoying when a model uses all zeros or n/a in her details.
I'm sorry ladies but what are we supposed to do guess your stats?

Its SUPER annoying when users assume they know all the details.

The stats feature you speak of WASN'T always available.

DGI Concepts wrote:

No, not for everyone.

DGI Concepts wrote:
If you are serious about modeling kindly fill them in PLEASE!
Thank you

You just answered your own complaint. If they MM member doesn't have what you expect out of them, skip their profile & move on. Its just that easy.

Mar 17 16 02:55 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Alannah The Stylist

Los Angeles, California, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

That's also a good method.

Mar 17 16 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

If that information is important to you, ignore those that do not provide the information. Use the advanced browse to eliminate those. Now, you will never be bothered by the 0 stats again.

If you look around and see a model that might work for you, message her, and tell her why you need to know her exact measurements. If she likes your work and reason, she will provide them. If not, she won't. I know, I know, extra work for you. Deal with it or just eliminate them from your searches.

Mar 17 16 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Diane Diederich

Stafford Springs, Connecticut, US

I find the lack of stats so ANNOYING. I just want to know approximate age and height! I also will ignore models with incomplete stats.

Mar 17 16 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

Koryn wrote:

I have no problem booking models from here.

Your statement above is a self-fullfilling prophecy. If they didn't do it, no one would complain about it.

As with Jerry above, if they don't have stats, I'm very likely to just move on, I don't have time for "models" that can't even put in the minimum effort expected, and honestly, that's not the attitude of a model I want to work with.

Just my .02

Mar 17 16 03:58 pm Link

Model

Account subscribed

Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland

I fill as much as possible out in my profile but as you can see it is not very easy. The conversion tool acts strange and all people measure thoose measurements different. I had to write out how I have measured. I have also attached a picture in my port to show how I have measured.

Mar 17 16 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

DGI Concepts

New York, New York, US

And bless you for at least trying smile

Mar 18 16 07:32 am Link

Photographer

David M Russell

New York, New York, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Don't know 'bout you, but I look at a model's portfolio long before I look at her "details".  A picture is worth 1,000 details.

Nah. Because if you're going to shoot look book or anything with clothes that are one-off, the model usually needs to be 5'8"+. I might look at the port anyway, but knowing height is vital.

I can also imagine some scenarios where the dreaded cup size measurement might be important -- swimwear/lingerie/etc.

Mar 18 16 07:56 am Link

Photographer

REMOVED

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Just how will web "models" ever hope to compete with agency talents when so often they are unwilling to provide such fundamental information?

Mar 18 16 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

I like accurate stats.
-Don

Mar 18 16 10:29 am Link

Model

Account subscribed

Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland

It would be very helpful if MM could use a picture like the one I have in my portfolio (moved: see weblink) where it is shown how measurements should be filled in. I learnt from design professionals who helped me to measure because it is hard to do it correct yourself. To me measurements are very important because It is to my favour at my age. It is not funny to use a space in your port for a measurement picture when you would like to show something of yourself.

Mar 18 16 10:48 am Link

Photographer

TEB-Art Photo

Carrboro, North Carolina, US

Measurements can be very handy when a multiple-model shoot is planned. I did a shoot last Summer where I was looking at model weight, because the shoot was going to involve lifts.

Mar 18 16 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

To catch a thief, you have to think like a thief..wink

Mar 18 16 11:02 pm Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

Koryn wrote:

I admire the work you've created, but what does it say when an MM Forum guide doesn't even have the required four images in her portfolio?

Mar 19 16 07:58 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

salvatori. wrote:

I admire the work you've created, but what does it say when an MM Forum guide doesn't even have the required four images in her portfolio?

It says what she's been saying in her post: MM is dead. Long live... ah what's the use.

Mar 19 16 08:23 am Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Dea and the Beast wrote:

It says what she's been saying in her post: MM is dead. Long live... ah what's the use.

Sorry, guess I'm offended by being an old man.

Still, if a FG can't maintain the absolute minimum standard for a membership, not only should they not be a FG, they shouldn't even be a member, and shouldn't have the luxury of custom-fitting herself into the site, simply because she's posed for a lot of us 'old men'.

IMHO

Mar 19 16 08:31 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

salvatori. wrote:
Sorry, guess I'm offended by being an old man.

Still, if a FG can't maintain the absolute minimum standard for a membership, not only should they not be a FG, they shouldn't even be a member, and shouldn't have the luxury of custom-fitting herself into the site, simply because she's posed for a lot of us 'old men'.

IMHO

You went from old man to a complaining old man.

Koryn's work here as a forum guide is of immeasurable value to members, old and new alike.
A good FG imho should know the trade and have experience in the field. Nothing to do with how many images are maintained in a personal portfolio.
She has truly seen and done it all, and the knowledge and good advice for others resulting from those experiences are 'worth' far more than the 'standard amount of images'.

I think the whole "things should be like this and not like that" has spoiled mayhem over the years. I remember when folks would just banter and network and get on with life after a good rant about the occasional shoot gone wrong.
Now everyone and their grandmas are 'photographers' and 'models', and nobody is in for good work (or just work) any more.
Perhaps if people were to complain a little less, folks could take pleasure in creating again.
Models sleep all day and bathe in mild and honey and want $2.500 per hour.
Photographers are gods. We get it.

Mar 19 16 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Dea and the Beast wrote:

Koryn's work here as a forum guide is of immeasurable value to members, old and new alike.
A good FG imho should know the trade and have experience in the field. Nothing to do with how many images are maintained in a personal portfolio.
She has truly seen and done it all, and the knowledge and good advice for others resulting from those experiences are 'worth' far more than the 'standard amount of images'.

I think the whole "things should be like this and not like that" has spoiled mayhem over the years. I remember when folks would just banter and network and get on with life after a good rant about the occasional shoot gone wrong.
Now everyone and their grandmas are 'photographers' and 'models', and nobody is in for good work (or just work) any more.
Perhaps if people were to complain a little less, folks could take pleasure in creating again.

+1   lol

Mar 19 16 08:46 am Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Dea and the Beast wrote:

Simple fact: all members need to have at least (4) images in their portfolio. No exceptions as far as I know. Not complaining, just asking why some get a pass. Read into it what you will.

Mar 19 16 08:55 am Link