Forums > General Industry > Would you date your photographer?

Photographer

PaulDuffy Photography

Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa

I'm Moving....!

Sep 30 08 06:40 pm Link

Model

Jessica Vaugn

Los Angeles, California, US

K E S L E R wrote:
I would ask this in the photography forum but I already know that 99% of the vote for single photographer would be "YES."  lol

Personally I don't think the model/ photographer relationship will work out because there would be at some point jealousy, whether the photographer shoots beautiful women more than his girlfriend, or his girlfriend shoots with better photographers than her BF.

Discuss...

Oh please. I'd slap my photographer boyfriend for not shooting hot girls like he's suppose to.

Sep 30 08 07:30 pm Link

Model

-Terrace-

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Jessica Rabbit   wrote:

Oh please. I'd slap my photographer boyfriend for not shooting hot girls like he's suppose to.

Ditto!  but replace BF with the word husband, and i am right there with ya!

Sep 30 08 07:33 pm Link

Model

Jessica Vaugn

-Terrace- wrote:

Ditto!  but replace BF with the word husband, and i am right there with ya!

Yeah Girl~
How would it make sense for Josh to stop shooting models to make sure you're never jealous (back to the OP statement) . That would suggest we are insecure, and that's totally not the case.

Sep 30 08 07:36 pm Link

Model

Jessica Vaugn

K E S L E R wrote:
...or his girlfriend shoots with better photographers than her BF.

A true loved one would not hold their partner back because they might not measure up to the new "talent". We have to grow, that doesn't mean grow beyond shooting with them, but we cannot limit ourselves to just being our husband's or boyfriends model. We are not very marketable then.

Sep 30 08 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Ward

New York, New York, US

jealousy and insecurity is a bad thing for ANY relationship, regardless of the profession.  i know that i've lost some really great models due to jealous and insecure boyfriends/girlfriends.

Sep 30 08 07:40 pm Link

Model

-Terrace-

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Jessica Rabbit   wrote:

Yeah Girl~
How would it make sense for Josh to stop shooting models to make sure you're never jealous (back to the OP statement) . That would suggest we are insecure, and that's totally not the case.

nods.

i have no reason to care what girl gets nekkid in front of my man's camera. 

if anything- it gives me an ego boost, rather than making me insecure.

speaking of which...i think it is about time you get in front of our camera. when we move, you guys will have to come out and hang!

Sep 30 08 07:40 pm Link

Model

-Terrace-

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Jessica Rabbit   wrote:

A true loved one would not hold their partner back because they might not measure up to the new "talent". We have to grow, that doesn't mean grow beyond shooting with them, but we cannot limit ourselves to just being our husband's or boyfriends model. We are not very marketable then.

quoted for truth....well said.

~T

Sep 30 08 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

Shiva Photo

East Hills, New York, US

NEWS FLASH !  NEWS FLASH !!   NEWS FLASH !!!

May 1960 Princess Margaret marries photographer Anthony Armstrong Jones. She is the first of the royals to be thought of as cool, glamorous, and soon becomes the paparazzi's target. 

Hope for the many photographers out there!!!

Sep 30 08 07:42 pm Link

Model

i888

K E S L E R wrote:
I would ask this in the photography forum but I already know that 99% of the vote for single photographer would be "YES."  lol

Personally I don't think the model/ photographer relationship will work out because there would be at some point jealousy, whether the photographer shoots beautiful women more than his girlfriend, or his girlfriend shoots with better photographers than her BF.

Discuss...

No, I would not. Cause two artists equals a disaster. One of the people in the relationship needs a solid, dependable career. My bf right now does web design which is perfect cause his career is stable. I dated an artsy guy before, and we never really did anything with much productivity, if you know what I mean. Could never see myself having a family with someone unless they did something with a solid paycheck, not being superficial, just don't want to live on foodstamps smile

Sep 30 08 09:13 pm Link

Model

Reby

New York, New York, US

Let me tell you...
It's the worst idea ever.

Well, if you're dating...
But don't expect a ring.
HAHA.

No, it's not funny.
Really.

Sep 30 08 09:15 pm Link

Model

B Debauchery

Boston, Massachusetts, US

HottShotz wrote:
Who tells there boyfriend about the instances where they've had advances thrown their way? Seriously. Any man knows that beautiful women get hit on every SINGLE day. It's worst when your woman's job is to actually be close to naked if not naked in front of men. Because lets face it... most male photographers (majority of the market) require clothes come off at shoots. Being secure is fine... But knowing that that's what your woman is leaving you to do wouldn't put me at ease. I'd stick with the girl next door. smile

I still don't see why if the model isn't interested in said "advances" why it matters at all. It sounds like the model isn't being jealous and insecure over something totally insignificant, but the other way around.

Sep 30 08 09:59 pm Link

Model

Inactive User

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I think a model/photographer relationship would work. Their chemistry would lead to better direction, and translated on film. There was one photographer I worked w/that was really laid back and had a renaissance man vibe. We had a great shoot. *wished he would've asked me out for lunch but oh well. ho hum. lol.*

Sep 30 08 10:08 pm Link

Model

Stephanie Bea

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I highly doubt it.

Wheres the hot young female photographers?

Sep 30 08 10:10 pm Link

Model

Samantha Scarlette

New York, New York, US

no. i wouldn't date a photographer.

Sep 30 08 10:29 pm Link

Model

J Keith Parnell

Jacksonville, Florida, US

It certainly would be cheaper...

Sep 30 08 10:32 pm Link

Model

Isobel Wren

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

When I first started modeling I thought that it was unprofessional to date in the industry so I held off dating the attractive and eligible photographers I met.  Then I realized that everyone dates within their job/career and the most successful couples in the industry are generally model/photographer or makeup artist/photographer couples.  We're going to have different issues than some other couples would, but we're going to not have issues that a lot of people do.  Mature and loving people can make relationships wherever they find them.

I would totally date a photographer, model or makeup artist if s/he caught my fancy.

Oct 01 08 01:37 am Link

Retoucher

Closed Now

Buffalo, Illinois, US

I think it would depend on their professional relationship like, how often they work together.

Oct 01 08 02:09 am Link

Photographer

afterdarc studios

San Diego, California, US

if i were single... the answer would still be no.

one night stands maybe lol

Oct 01 08 04:47 am Link

Model

Asia Abendroth

Denver, Colorado, US

Of course I would date a photographer if I were attracted to him or her. I definitely would not get jealous because they were shooting hotter models than me. That's so stupid. I wouldn't want him or her to shoot models who were UGLY, that would make their port bad. I could definitely appreciate the work because we would both be in the industry.

It doesn't matter what industry you're in, really. People date their co-workers or other people in the same industry all the time. They tend to have common interests. Jealousy is everywhere, it doesn't matter what industry you work in. It's just the way some people are. They're insecure about something.

Oct 01 08 05:07 am Link

Photographer

Mgaphoto

San Diego, California, US

BOBO!

Oct 01 08 05:16 am Link

Photographer

BostockImages

Brooklyn, New York, US

B Debauchery wrote:
I still don't see why if the model isn't interested in said "advances" why it matters at all. It sounds like the model isn't being jealous and insecure over something totally insignificant, but the other way around.

A man dating a model has many reasons to be insecure. No model in this forum is going to actually come forward and say "I have a bf/fiance/husband... but I just couldn't help myself... I've slept with a photographer I was working with before/during/after the shoot... or days/weeks/months after the shoot"... And believe me... they're out there. And those people are reading so I'm sure the guilty parties are a little sympathetic to a bf's concerns.  smile

Oct 01 08 01:37 pm Link

Model

B Debauchery

HottShotz wrote:

A man dating a model has many reasons to be insecure. No model in this forum is going to actually come forward and say "I have a bf/fiance/husband... but I just couldn't help myself... I've slept with a photographer I was working with before/during/after the shoot... or days/weeks/months after the shoot"... And believe me... they're out there. And those people are reading so I'm sure the guilty parties are a little sympathetic to a bf's concerns.  smile

I can see your point. But I don't think that has anything to do with them being a model, but instead a shitty girlfriend! They'll get hit on anywhere, and not cuz they're a model.

Oct 01 08 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

xStephanie wrote:
I highly doubt it.

Wheres the hot young female photographers?

Is 31 still young?

Oct 01 08 01:48 pm Link

Model

gNa

I'm engaged to a photographer, so yes! tongue

Oct 01 08 01:48 pm Link

Retoucher

VanityClaire

Dallas, Texas, US

I did. Almost married one.
Until I found out that he had the same idea about another one of his models....
Long story short, I no longer date in the industry. Ha.

Oct 01 08 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

BostockImages

Brooklyn, New York, US

B Debauchery wrote:
I can see your point. But I don't think that has anything to do with them being a model, but instead a shitty girlfriend! They'll get hit on anywhere, and not cuz they're a model.

This industry is primarily about sex. Sex sells... You know... being suggestive... nudity... etc. The girl next door is exposed to the world... but she's not exposed to "our" world. There's an ADDITIONAL level of concern from a mans perspective when it comes to a woman who is "in this industry". Make sense?

Shitty girlfriends exist... NOOOOOO doubt about that. However the opportunity is greater when she's always in this environment... half clothed... attracted to the photographer... music... drinks... etc smile

Oct 01 08 01:55 pm Link

Model

Megan G

Parker, Colorado, US

I think the matter comes down to insecurity, and if anyone is insecure, then they shouldn't be in a relationship in the first place.

Having said that, I think that a model/photographer relationship could work just like the rest of relationships.  I know I'm not the most attractive woman on the planet.  There is ALWAYS going to be someone more attractive, no matter what line of business your significant other is in, and the same temptations can be found anywhere I think.

Oct 01 08 02:06 pm Link

Model

Susie B

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

I would say absolutely not to dating someone that you've worked with- but recently, I broke my rule ;-)

Oct 01 08 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

BostockImages

Brooklyn, New York, US

Any relationship would work if you make it work. I think alot of models are saying "No, I won't date a photographer" for the old "I don't mix business with pleasure" rule. If you're attracted to someone and you want to make a move... make a move, no matter what the circumstances are. Personally, I go after gorgeous woman. 9 times out of 10, gorgeous women model. I won't be deprived of dating because I'm a photographer. Sometimes when I approach women, I don't tell them what I do for a living JUST so things can stay ON track. Once you tell them you're a photographer, they start talking business, then you never get back to the personal. It sucks

www.myspace.com/hottshotzphotography

Oct 01 08 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

JeanDphoto

Knowlton, Quebec, Canada

To me the most difficult part is having to justify why the one you love doesn't fit the "cast" on a personal project.... The "sorry love but..." hurts more often than not...

My main activity in the past was more involved with directing actors and I have been living with an actress for 15 years and guess what we made it a rule that we don't work on the same set. It did protect integrity and self-estime.

Love in the same trade ? why not ! But it sure can create situations :-)))

Good luck to all the ones falling in Love ! lol

Jean

P.S. Sorry for my poor vocabulary in English

Oct 01 08 02:12 pm Link

Model

B Debauchery

HottShotz wrote:

This industry is primarily about sex. Sex sells... You know... being suggestive... nudity... etc. The girl next door is exposed to the world... but she's not exposed to "our" world. There's an ADDITIONAL level of concern from a mans perspective when it comes to a woman who is "in this industry". Make sense?

Shitty girlfriends exist... NOOOOOO doubt about that. However the opportunity is greater when she's always in this environment... half clothed... attracted to the photographer... music... drinks... etc smile

Ah. I guess I'm just so separate about my shit it doesn't occur to me O.o I'm a club kid and frequent the goth/fetish scene. I guess for me, being surrounded by it enough just makes me certain of what I do want--cuz even if someone was fun for a few hours, it still would never compare to my SO who comes to visit me in the hospital and still likes me when i'm gross and haven't shaved in days! and who I already enjoy *wink wink nudge nudge* very very much.

Oct 01 08 02:13 pm Link

Model

tabitha lynette

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Lithuanian import wrote:
I think they would make the best couples, actually: same interests, understanding of business and how it works, appreciation for the image and final results. As far as jealousy goes, it's an issue of trust and insecurity and it could happen in any idustry...

I totally agree.

Oct 01 08 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Moderator Warning!
No longer much of an Industry Forum topic, moving to General.

Leo - Moderator

Oct 01 08 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

BostockImages

Brooklyn, New York, US

B Debauchery wrote:
Ah. I guess I'm just so separate about my shit it doesn't occur to me O.o I'm a club kid and frequent the goth/fetish scene. I guess for me, being surrounded by it enough just makes me certain of what I do want--cuz even if someone was fun for a few hours, it still would never compare to my SO who comes to visit me in the hospital and still likes me when i'm gross and haven't shaved in days! and who I already enjoy *wink wink nudge nudge* very very much.

People don't cheat because there's something wrong with their significant other... They do it because there's "opportunity" smile
If there's an opportunity... sorry for that loving bf who visits you at the hospital when no one else does sad

Oct 01 08 02:51 pm Link

Model

Pacific Islander

Franklin, Arkansas, US

If I'm single (NO) nothing personal though... smile

Oct 01 08 02:53 pm Link

Model

Chavala W

Nassau, New Providence, Bahamas

we're both single and click well sure why not may turn out to be something GREAT

Oct 01 08 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Jade Noir

San Antonio, Texas, US

Visions Photography CA wrote:

Hahaha...

And watch "Gia" to see why models and makeup artists SHOULD date

;-)

Haha that's HOT.

Oct 01 08 03:12 pm Link

Model

Shelby Ford

San Antonio, Texas, US

So if you met a really interesting attractive man at a bar, and he told you he was a garbage man, would you not date him?

Chemistry cannot be judged by your occupation.  His or yours. 

Would you rather live your life trying to maintain 'professionalism' and get to the pearly gates, look back, and ask yourself, "what would have happened if I had given that a chance?"

No regrets.  No labels.  No judgements.

Oct 01 08 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

Katie Moore

Woodstock, Ontario, Canada

Yea, I have (dated another photog)... except it doesn't work when the photographer ends up getting involved with the models. >sad

Oct 01 08 03:49 pm Link