Forums > Model Colloquy > Professionalism

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Isis22 wrote:
Sometimes the most professional thing you can do is to keep your mouth shut.

and/or fingers off the keyboard.

Good advice.

Sep 19 13 09:40 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Digital Czar wrote:
Models, no matter if beginner or a true pearl, want work. In some cases they want to trade for images for their book. Same can be said for photographers.

However it's particularly galling that people sign up to be a model here, and we know it's in the hundreds of thousands, then don't even have the barest scrap of professionalism to leave  a good image of themselves by answering emails directed to them.

Oh well...goes with the territory I suppose.

Sometimes you're better off if they don't respond.  I just received a reply from a newbie model responding to my "Welcome to MM" message.  It consisted of a blistering critique of my style, skill, choice of models and genres and included an explanation of how she could solve all my problems.  Now that's professionalism for you!

Sep 19 13 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

NM

Sep 19 13 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

Dan OMell

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

it's nothing.
photography is not just painting with light.
sometimes it's also sitting somewhere in a shitting swamp infested by alligators in 4am for an hour waiting for 15 min of that beautiful golden hour to get your best shot.

with people, they're MUCH better than swamps and alligators, some of them respond or even show up sometimes. alligators don't talk and can hurt you more.

never rely 100% on anything or anyone. people aren't programmable machines as you know. and this is the beauty of it, as the beauty of extreme alpinism, for example, is in danger and unpredictability. the safe rock climbing is boring for some.

for important sessions apply triple failure redundancy. self-improve and make people (models and agencies) fight to work with you.

professionalism is in getting your job done no matter what and blaming only yourself for any failures, to improve.

be a legend.

P.S.: I'm just a legendary asshole, specializing in "do as I say, not as I do".

Digital Czar wrote:
people sign up to be a model here, and we know it's in the hundreds of thousands, then don't even have the barest scrap of professionalism to leave  a good image of themselves by answering emails directed to them.

Sep 22 13 10:54 am Link

Photographer

PaulHomsyPhotography

Los Angeles, California, US

Digital Czar wrote:

Yes, but still not professional if you want to be one. Even the Pro's I know, know how to refuse something gracefully, which is part of being a Pro.

Completely agree. The more professional a person is the more likely they are to respond to everyone and these people are usually the more successful ones. The more beautiful a model is, the more likely she is to respond because she is the one who gets the most work and appreciates it. Many of the busiest models are the most courteous and respond in a timely manner. The only time it is appropriate to not respond is when a photographer is rude or cheeky in his approach. Otherwise courtesy goes a long way and is always appreciated. To be turned down politely is part of life in any field. To not respond because of lack of interest is pretentious.

One of the most notable traits the most successful people share in any business is being accessible and not in an ivory tower. It's also great for their reputation and they know it.

Oct 19 13 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

PaulHomsyPhotography

K I C K H A M wrote:

Yeah, I try to respond to all messages, but there's a few things... I'm a professional model. This is my livelihood. Sometimes that means I'm booked 5 days straight. I'm not always able to respond on MM because I'm off doing professional agency work, so taking my time to respond to shoots I'm not interested in often gets left for later.

Also, as Paige said, sometimes I respond with a no thank you, and get mass messages back about how I'm ugly, look like a man, not a "real" model, fat, anorexic, etc, etc.... Honestly, sometimes I'm just not up for that.

Anywho, ranting in the model forum isn't going to help you. Sorry.

Oct 19 13 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

PaulHomsyPhotography

K I C K H A M wrote:

Yeah, I try to respond to all messages, but there's a few things... I'm a professional model. This is my livelihood. Sometimes that means I'm booked 5 days straight. I'm not always able to respond on MM because I'm off doing professional agency work, so taking my time to respond to shoots I'm not interested in often gets left for later.

Also, as Paige said, sometimes I respond with a no thank you, and get mass messages back about how I'm ugly, look like a man, not a "real" model, fat, anorexic, etc, etc.... Honestly, sometimes I'm just not up for that.

Anywho, ranting in the model forum isn't going to help you. Sorry.

At least you take the time or make the effort to respond and you're a busy model, which is a definite sign of professionalism. I heard from models about the negative reactions they get at times when they turn someone down. Understandably that isn't something anyone is up, nor should have to face. Those who become insulting because they have been turned down have fragile egos that wouldn't take rejection in any business.

Oct 19 13 11:54 pm Link