Forums > General Industry > Are pre-shoot meetings actually just a coffee date

Model

Taylor Kate f

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Hey,

So I work with agencies and also freelance. Am I the only one that finds pre-shoot coffee dates odd? If I get booked through my agency there is no meeting the creative team beforehand as that takes time and time = money. It's one thing to verify I am real over a telephone call or social media which I am totally okay with, but the whole pre-shoot to see if we "like each other" or "discuss ideas" just smacks of a male photographer 20-40 years older than me trying to get me out on a date with the facade of it being necessary for the shoot.

I'm not trying to be rude, I just feel like photographers are trying to take advantage of a young girl tbh.

Thoughts everyone??

Jan 06 19 04:59 pm Link

Model

Taylor Kate f

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Side note: The last time I agreed to one, I arrived to meet the photographer (a male much older than me). He proceeded to tell me he actually wanted me to do a NUDE YOGA shoot. He also said he wanted to take me shopping to buy lingerie for the shoot, despite it being a nude shoot??? Needless to say, I never worked with him and my time was wasted. Though, the free Starbucks was nice XD

Can anyone else relate to this?

Jan 06 19 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

You are way too young for me but I wouldn't mind a coffee date with your grandmother.

Jan 06 19 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

Eddy Torigoe

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I just had a meet and greet today and it was on the model's request. It was great and refreshing to actually meet someone as a human being prior to setting up a shoot. We talked about the shoot and photography and science. I'm glad that we did so when we have our shoot next week, it'll feel like someone I know and not some stranger I just met.

Jan 06 19 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Coffee is good,  sorry that Your meeting didn't go well. 

I try to meet prior to the first shoot with all of the Models I work with,  they've mostly been non-agency represented and if they show there's a greater possibility they will show for the session.  It also helps break ice.

I would view the experience this way,  You found out prior to being on set that You would not want to work with the Photographer in a neutral location.

Jan 06 19 05:16 pm Link

Model

Ivy Wild

Jersey City, New Jersey, US

I don't like to meet up prior to a shoot just because it is more (unpaid) time out of my already extremely busy schedule. I'm also not super chatty. Generally I find that all of the information regarding the shoot that I need can be acquired over email.

I have never felt like it was a date though. Maybe you just met up with a GWC and it would have been creepy regardless. But since you didn't do the shoot, perhaps the meet up was useful to you after all? You found out that you didn't like him before you took your clothes off?

Jan 06 19 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

OP,

For the past 25 years ive made it a standard practice to have a pre-shoot meeting with everyone with whom I've worked.  It doesn't matter what genre or reason we're shooting, if I haven't met you before, a pre-shoot meeting in a public place such as a coffe shop, restaurant, etc is mandatory, no exceptions.  If we've worked together previously, we may be able to plan a shoot via email, sending each other ideas on which to develop concepts.  I even encourage people to bring a friend with them to the meeting and will pay for any beverages (coffee, tea, soft drinks - never alcohol) we consume.  It's called being polite, nothing more.  For those who say they're too busy for a pre-shoot meeting, I wish them well and move on to working with others who grasp the concept behind the meeting.  Life is too short for drama.

My logic is it's much better to find out about some incompatibility at a pre-shoot meeting than to spend the time, money and effort setting up a shoot.  I would think that a model's point of view would be similar and most of those I meet understand and support my methodology.  When you work with professionals, the conversation will, for the most part, remain on business.  There's nothing wrong with discussing the weather or some news event while you're waiting for drinks or food to arrive.  It's a common practice for breaking the ice and developing a rapport with clients but there's boundaries that should never be crossed.  I believe if you wouldn't discuss something in a meeting at any other job, why discuss it at a pre-shoot meeting.  That's just simple respect.

The people you meet who use photography as a means of meeting women are no different than those who use other activities to meet women.  Unfortunately, it happens every day and everywhere men and women come into contact.  It's those fauxtographers who give everyone who enjoys creating images a bad name.  Grouping all photographers into one bunch because of the behavior of one or even a few makes as much sense as doing the same to models, MUAs or any other category of people.  It's just wrong to do so.

Jan 06 19 05:31 pm Link

Model

Alexandra Vincent

Asheville, North Carolina, US

It's not unusual for me to drive 300-500, even 1000, miles to shoot with people in a different city. To expect a pre-shoot meet up, when I may be in one state one day, then 3 states away the next, is simply impossible.

Jan 06 19 05:31 pm Link

Model

Victoria Morrisa

New York, New York, US

I am perplexed when I get messages like that, as well. I just got a message like that tonight. I replied asking if he would like to do a voice call via Skype (that way, he doesn't have my phone number and we can discuss the shoot). I'm not going to travel to meet a stranger. Discussing a photoshoot can be done via a phone call. There is no need to meet.

If the guy you're talking about continues to insist on meeting, then I agree with you that he might just want to hang out with you under the guise of it being about a shoot. They might try to threaten you by saying that if you don't meet them, then they won't shoot - that is your red flag that he has ulterior motives or is not serious about a shoot.

There are a lot of predators that pose as photographers. Please be careful.

Jan 06 19 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Not at all, at least not for me.

I want to find out if you are capable of showing up on time before I go to the trouble of setting up for a shoot.

BTW, I'm not 20-40 years older than the OP. I'm 52 years older. And I have zero interest in any sort of romantic relationship with a 19 year old.

Jan 06 19 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

I've never requested a pre-shoot meeting. However, when a model asks to meet, I always accept. It doesn't happen very often, but a few times over the years, most definitely.
Professional nude models have never asked for a meeting. It's mostly first timers, or models who normally would not shoot nude, but like my work enough to try. It's a comfort thing, and I'm fine with that.

Jan 06 19 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Victoria Morrisa wrote:
I am perplexed when I get messages like that, as well. I just got a message like that tonight. I replied asking if he would like to do a voice call via Skype (that way, he doesn't have my phone number and we can discuss the shoot). I'm not going to travel to meet a stranger. Discussing a photoshoot can be done via a phone call. There is no need to meet.

If the guy you're talking about continues to insist on meeting, then I agree with you that he might just want to hang out with you under the guise of it being about a shoot. They might try to threaten you by saying that if you don't meet them, then they won't shoot - that is your red flag that he has ulterior motives or is not serious about a shoot.

There are a lot of predators that pose as photographers. Please be careful.

It amazes me that a model won't meet a photographer for a pre-shoot meeting but will show up at a location they've never been to before to shoot with someone they've never met.

Safety should be something about which everyone should be concerned.  Why should a photographer trust a "model" he's never met to show up to his/her studio?  Are models more trustworthy and wholesome that they'd never do anything wrong to anyone?  There's a model in my local area right now who is waiting for her trial for shooting her own husband.  I had the opportunity to speak with someone who met and agreed to work with her.  After only about 20 minutes on set, he called the shoot and admitted he could have precluded wasting his time by meeting wi her beforehand. 

To each his/her own, I suppose.  Wishing you all the best.

Jan 06 19 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Michael DBA Expressions wrote:
Not at all, at least not for me.

I want to find out if you are capable of showing up on time before I go to the trouble of setting up for a shoot.

BTW, I'm not 20-40 years older than the OP. I'm 52 years older. And I have zero interest in any sort of romantic relationship with a 19 year old.

+1000

Jan 06 19 05:44 pm Link

Model

Victoria Morrisa

New York, New York, US

Todd Meredith wrote:
It amazes me that a model won't meet a photographer for a pre-shoot meeting but will show up at a location they've never been to before to shoot with someone they've never met.

Safety should be something about which everyone should be concerned.  Why should a photographer trust a "model" he's never met to show up to his/her studio?  Are models more trustworthy and wholesome that they'd never do anything wrong to anyone?  There's a model in my local area right now who is waiting for her trial for shooting her own husband.  I had the opportunity to speak with someone who met and agreed to work with her.  After only about 20 minutes on set, he called the shoot and admitted he could have precluded wasting his time by meeting wi her beforehand. 

To each his/her own, I suppose.  Wishing you all the best.

This conversation isn't about someone wanting to meet for safety. It's about meeting with someone to discuss the shoot beforehand.

Meeting someone can give you a sense of the person's vibe, which can tell you a lot, but it doesn't tell you if the person is safe. That also wouldn't quite make sense - to meet with a stranger to see if they're safe. If you meet with them and they aren't safe, then you're already in the dangerous situation that you were trying to avoid. And they probably have your phone number. If a person is concerned about personal safety, they can run background checks on prospective colleagues before agreeing to work with them.

Jan 06 19 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Taylor Kate f wrote:
It's one thing to verify I am real over a telephone call or social media which I am totally okay with, but the whole pre-shoot to see if we "like each other" or "discuss ideas" just smacks of a male photographer 20-40 years older than me trying to get me out on a date with the facade of it being necessary for the shoot.

I'm not trying to be rude, I just feel like photographers are trying to take advantage of a young girl tbh.

Your bio currently states "Paid Assignments Only ... No Nudes". So with all the other pre-checks you can do beforehand, it surprises me to think that this 'nude yoga' photographer actually made it as far as getting you to agree to a meet-and-greet over a coffee.

Jan 06 19 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Redacted

( one of my New Years Resolutions is to try and be a nicer person )

smile

You are an interesting young woman

Jan 06 19 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

Julietsdream

Burbank, California, US

Taylor Kate f wrote:
Hey,

So I work with agencies and also freelance. Am I the only one that finds pre-shoot coffee dates odd? If I get booked through my agency there is no meeting the creative team beforehand as that takes time and time = money. It's one thing to verify I am real over a telephone call or social media which I am totally okay with, but the whole pre-shoot to see if we "like each other" or "discuss ideas" just smacks of a male photographer 20-40 years older than me trying to get me out on a date with the facade of it being necessary for the shoot.

Thoughts everyone??

*I never meet my models before a shoot..I have all my models come to me anyways...so I can usually just tell the model everything I am hoping for in several emails, before our shoot...!!…I can tell from an email....if the model sounds flakey or insincere....The serious models...email right back, don't wait long periods of time in between emails and they let me know...they are coming 'for sure'...I don't need them to prove it...(or that we are comfortable with each other)...or whatever else.....by meeting me for coffee beforehand..!!...We can hash anything out....pro or con....in an email...and since they are relying on me for the overall look...styling, make-up etc....I don't need their input on what we will be shooting, prior to the shoot, as that is already established...!!...In all the years of shooting...it's only been a super small handful of times, that a model hasn't shown up....and I just look at it as the models loss, because I won't book with her/him again..!!...Because they are coming to me...if they don't show up....I just continue my day..!!...I like to shoot often....so there isn't a lot of time to do pre shoot meetings for anyone, as I am busy doing other things getting ready for the shoot...I know myself and my models appreciate that it's not a requirement...It's never been an issue, really..!!

Jan 06 19 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Acraftman1313

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

I appreciate the response from the models. I am someone whom is very new to pursuing this type photographic interest.  I kinda thought it took some rapport to go beyond just a product photo session.
I work in my professional life ( I am by no means a pro-photographer) with a variety  of different people but I do basically the same thing for all of them and I will say that I always do a meet up before any kind of agreements are signed,this allows us to determine if we are people that can actually work together I know before hand that I am capable of doing the job but the way people interact with each other I believe does impact the finial outcome that can take things to the next level. Which I do think has a better chance of coming  to fruition with a bit of prior knowledge.
Having said all of that I also need to say that I am one of those older guys that thinks having a twenty something year old girl friend would be up there with having two or three wives. PASS!

Jan 06 19 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

I find planning meetings to be essential to determine if we agree on concepts, clothing, styling. and terms to make a trade shoot work for me.   Critically I get to determine if you actually look like your photos and confirm that you are reliable enough for me to invest my time and $$$ in a full shoot.  If the model doesn't have the right clothing for a shoot, then I need to plan to get it.  This is less of a concern if we have met, you are an agency model, and if you are under 25.  I would far prefer a wasted 30 minute planing meeting rather than a wasted 4 hour photo shoot.

As an agency model though, there should be plenty of recommendations from your agents and the photographers you have already worked with to find good trade shoots to build your portfolio.  If you are getting enough work and portfolio photos from your multiple agencies, then I would not spend much time with other freelancers.

If you add to your profile that "you will never shoot topless or nudes" then hopefully you will get slightly less bait and switch offers for nude work.

Jan 06 19 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Over the years several models have requested Pre-shoot meetups.
Startbucks is the normal meeting spot since NYC has them on almost every corner.
Was I so naïve to not realize these meetups were just disguised coffee dates ?

Jan 06 19 08:36 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Two Pears Studio

Wilmington, Delaware, US

meeting for coffee? I have had met people to discuss the sitting, but nothing personal?

I would be leery?

Jan 06 19 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Julietsdream wrote:
...it's only been a super small handful of times, that a model hasn't shown up....and I just look at it as the models loss, because I won't book with her/him again..!!...Because they are coming to me...if they don't show up....I just continue my day..!!!

Apart from myself, I usually team up with a professional Hair Stylist and Makeup Artist, we all stand to loose time, money and income if a model doesn't show for a shoot.

It's okay if it's a model pays shoot, because compensation would come out of that model's booking fee, but if it's a TFP, or photographer pays shoot ... I wouldn't be happy!

Jan 06 19 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Victoria Morrisa wrote:
This conversation isn't about someone wanting to meet for safety. It's about meeting with someone to discuss the shoot beforehand.

Meeting someone can give you a sense of the person's vibe, which can tell you a lot, but it doesn't tell you if the person is safe. That also wouldn't quite make sense - to meet with a stranger to see if they're safe. If you meet with them and they aren't safe, then you're already in the dangerous situation that you were trying to avoid. And they probably have your phone number. If a person is concerned about personal safety, they can run background checks on prospective colleagues before agreeing to work with them.

I believe you missed the point.

When you meet with someone for the first time in a public place, you're essentially establishing a safe place in which to conduct the pre-shoot meeting which allows you an opportunity to get a feel for the person.  It's why you do it where's there's other people around.  People are less likely to act innappropriopriately when there's dozens of other people nearby.  Is it fail-proof?  Unfortunately not but it will help narrow down the list of crazies out there.  When people balk at meeting in a public venue, that should be a red flag about their behavior.  Why would you then want to meet with them in a private setting, with no one else around?  In today's world, everyone - especially women - should be concerned about safety.  Human trafficking is real, kidnapping is real, other heinous crimes are real.  Ironically, the UN recognizes human tracking as such a real threat, they've made January Human Traffickimg Awareness Month. 

Background check?  With who, the local police?  The FBI?  I hate to tell you that the online background checks have proven exteremlely flawed.  Those businesses always have a disclaimer that they take no responsibility for the accuracy of the information they provide.  They're in the business of making money, period, not providing safety.

Like I mentioned before, to each his/her own.  Wishing everyone a safe year of fun doing something they enjoy.

Jan 07 19 12:31 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

This is another of those topics that has come up a thousand times.

My attitude used to be, coffee meet always. It was primarily to see if the person would show up. Secondarily to see if we would get along. And thirdly to discuss what concepts we might plan out. I find that I do not get my ideas across in emails, or tweets.

However, this has now become an off and on thing. Half hour discussing over coffee, days before has always been more productive than half hour at the beginning of the shoot At the shoot it feels rushed. I shoot trade, so I like to bounce ideas back and forth. If I were paying, then it is my ideas, so discussion not necessary.

I have done it with agency models, kind of a "go see", with dancers and local MM types. It has never been a waste of time, but also not always necessary. Thus it is now an off and on thing. If the model is known to me, then the reliability factor is not an issue. Once it it turned out that I did not like the models attitude and we cancelled, and once a model decided we would not work well. Also very useful to go through each others portfolios. Back in the day when it was mostly print, but still works even now when it is all digital. More than once when seeing the model and her stuff and some talk, we planned to go in a totally different direction then originally discussed.. Easier to change direction a week ahead then 30sec ahead. I can shift gears on the spot, but prefer not to.

Jan 07 19 01:10 am Link

Photographer

Natural Means

Yamba, New South Wales, Australia

Taylor Kate f wrote:
Hey,

Thoughts everyone??

I remember suggesting pre shoot coffee meets to 4 or 5 models about 5 years ago. Zero interest. So i focus on the shoot and life is better.

Jan 07 19 01:11 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I've never had a pre-shoot meeting with a model but I have been to dinner with a model.  She asked.    smile

Jan 07 19 01:11 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
I've never had a pre-shoot meeting with a model but I have been to dinner with a model.  She asked.    smile

Was it a pre-shoot dinner invitation to see if you "like each other" or to "discuss ideas"? smile

Jan 07 19 01:55 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Taylor Kate f wrote:

Well, if that's honestly how you feel about photographers, that is kind of rude.

The few times I did have a face-to-face pre-shoot meeting were all at the insistence of the model. I find those meetings to be fairly useless... little to nothing that can't be accomplished in a phone call.

Those demands for pre-shoot meetups were especially futile when the model and I lived two hours or more apart. I'll drive four-plus hours round-trip for a shoot, but not to placate someone's fears. Several times I agreed to such a meeting if the model made the drive to me. For some reason, those models thought that was unreasonable. They didn't even want to meet halfway.

Jan 07 19 02:04 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Garry k wrote:
Redacted

( one of my New Years Resolutions is to try and be a nicer person )

smile

Redacted

Jan 07 19 02:30 am Link

Photographer

Julietsdream

Burbank, California, US

Camera Buff wrote:
Apart from myself, I usually team up with a professional Hair Stylist and Makeup Artist, we all stand to loose time, money and income if a model doesn't show for a shoot.

It's okay if it's a model pays shoot, because compensation would come out of that model's booking fee, but if it's a TFP, or photographer pays shoot ... I wouldn't be happy!

*Especially when my model(s) know, if there will be a MUAH there....they usually show up...lol.......!!

Jan 07 19 04:24 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

I usually don't have a coffee meet with models, as I am working mostly on order by either agencies, magazines, designers or other industry people.

I also get hired to shoot model portfolios in my fashion editorial style.

However, I have been approached by the occasional model that wants to shoot with me and asks for trade.

Right now, I was approached by a singer, that recently performed at Carnegie Hall, via a recommendation by a photographer friend, to work with her for a set.

I am actually contemplating a "coffee date" with her, to see what she has in mind, because she also will provide makeup artist and hair stylist.

Then I am seeing this thread and the model's responses and I am confused.

Never thought of coming off as a middle aged creep until now.

Professionally... she approached me, she has some gowns and a designer, and I just don't see anything wrong with meeting prior to the shoot to discuss ideas, concepts and logistics.

This is starting to become a world I am not familiar with anymore.

Weird!

Jan 07 19 04:54 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Camera Buff wrote:

Was it a pre-shoot dinner invitation to see if you "like each other" or to "discuss ideas"? smile

We were hungry.  It was to eat dinner.

Jan 07 19 05:04 am Link

Photographer

G Reese

Marion, Indiana, US

I'm open to the idea of a preshoot meetup but that in it's self is a yellow flag for me. I don't have to like somebody to work with them.
The only time I've met with somebody before a shoot, it was somebody that had never modeled before.
Email works fine.

Jan 07 19 05:04 am Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

In over 15 years of shooting with models, I've never had, or wanted to have , a pre shoot meeting. I style most of my shoots, so I know what we will be shooting. If the model has some ideas after we have exchanged emails about the shoot, I'll incorporate those ideas as well.

There is plenty of time while the model is putting on MU or working with a MUA for us to establish rapport and talk about what each of us expects to get from the shoot.

I often shoot with traveling models and they seem to be perpetually on the go and have no time for an unpaid meeting for coffee. Some of them I have hosted, and even then, a quick shared dinner is about all the time they have to spare.

I shoot out of my home, so if a model doesn't show up, happened only once, I have plenty of things to occupy my time.

Jan 07 19 06:10 am Link

Photographer

LnN Studio

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I don't request them but would nosier it if the model requested it.

I can see both sides. Photographers often complain about no show models, which usually does not apply to agency models. Many photographers have up front expenses to rent a studio etc which is wasted if the model doesn't show and while no guarantee that they will show a meeting and knowing the person helps.

I can see the model's POV too as it takes time that is not paid and if it is a hobby for the model it incurs travel expenses and schedule problems too.

With all the tools available today to have a discussion I do not see it necessary.

I find the OP' comment on the age of the photographer to be offensive. At 19 almost every photographer she will shoot with will be much older than her, sometimes multiples of her age. The same would be true for a 30+ model commenting on the age of 19 year old photographer ( yes a 16 yo looking for a nude shoot would be different)

Jan 07 19 06:24 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

G Reese wrote:
I'm open to the idea of a preshoot meetup but that in it's self is a yellow flag for me. I don't have to like somebody to work with them.
The only time I've met with somebody before a shoot, it was somebody that had never modeled before.
Email works fine.

Yes.  Both of these statements are true for me, also.  The only pre shoot meetings I have gone to are the ones suggested by the model and that has only happened when I was the first person they would be modeling in front of- the first ever.

You work with professionals through the agency.  You recognize professional and unprofessional behavior.  Stay away from the fear mongers and the ones that make unprofessional demands.  Who are the most dangerous people you have already met in your life?  The ones who are obsessive?  The ones that are charming and woo you into letting your guard down?  The ones who are laid back and friendly?  The ones who get their job done and go home? 

Is there a list of people from MM that a guy has worked with on their profile?  Contact and check with them.  I think you will find that they all survived the encounter and can give you insights into the person's character.  If you have checked the photographer out and you feel there is a little more that you need to know to ensure your safety, take the meeting.  Or don't, because maybe that little nagging feeling you want to quiet is your warning system warming up.

Does a pre shoot meeting in a pubic place make you safe when you are in a private place?  God, no.  Maybe all that did was get you to let your guard down.

Have you noticed those that are advocating the hardest for these meetings are self serving?  It is their way or the highway.  They don't trust you to show up and they are concerned about you costing them money and you have to prove to them that you are reliable.  They don't want to spend the time at a shoot, when they are paying you, to talk to you and explain the concept.  They don't have the communication skills to talk to you through email and Skype so you have to accommodate them.  They don't want to leave a paper trail that you can go back to and say, "You said ...."  They want to check you out and prep you for the shoot at your expense (they will give you a $3.00 cup of coffee) and on your time and at their convenience, when you could be out making money somewhere.  Has a single one of these guys said that they will be the one to drive the 100 miles to meet with you, or does it seem like they expect you to come to them?  And notice how the strongest advocates for the meetings say they will cancel the shoot per the pre-shoot meeting results.  It is an interview, because they can't check references or get a sense of your skills by communicating any way other than in person.  Is it a two hour shoot or a career employment?  How much time do you need to invest in a pre shoot meeting for a two hour shoot?  If the shoot is for an entire day, will you be interviewed longer?  If it is a shoot for a couple of hours, are they telling you that they are incapable of working with a stranger for a couple of hours?  Does this really make them sound professional?

Jeez.  Take the DEMAND for a pre shoot meeting as a warning flag because that is what it is.  If you have legitimate fears for your safety, go to the police station before you go to the shoot or coffee shop and tell them where you will be and who you will be with.  Ask them to have a car swing by a couple of times.  Hell, ask them to come into the coffee shop and check the guy out.  In my real job, I have to go to people's houses and businesses.  I ask my clients to tell their neighbors and the cops that I will be there and what I am doing and what the neighbors should expect.  I am often forewarned about hostile neighbors.  Hostile neighbors create a large amount of my work.  smile  I love hostile neighbors  smile  And most of the time, it isn't the neighbor who is an ass, it is my client.  But I stop and talk to the police.  I have never been rebuffed by them and it is much better for me if I am the one that contacts the police first, because anyone can make someone look suspicious and I don't want the cops getting called by the neighbor and wasting my time.  I tell the cops who I am, what I am doing, why I am there. I can express a concern for my safety and they are prepared for my call should I need them.  You should let the cops know if you are having coffee with a photographer because there have been so many instances where the guy has arranged to have his henchmen at the shop and they will throw you into a van as you exit the place.  Next thing you know you are in Bubia Abbia chained to wall.   big_smile   Be safe but don't live your life a slave to false fear. 

Edit:
I have no problem with your characterization of the guy 20 to 40 years older, trying to get you out on a date.  Why?  Because I see how guys act on the street, construction sites and bars,  The more outrageous the probability of a woman wanting to hook up with them, the bolder and more obnoxious SOME men get.  And SOME men drive the stereotype.  I meet women all the time that are 30 years younger than me.  I danced with a woman on Saturday night that had to be under 30. (I also danced with many that are older than me.)  I danced with her because I saw her waltz and she was good.  She danced with me and found out.  But that was it.  One dance and "that was a great dance, my name is ..."  Then off we go.  I would not spend any time talking to someone so far my junior because I know that a very large percentage of young women have been hit on by men my age and older.  I do not want to be one of the men that raises the discomfort level.  I can assure you, if that woman ever sees me at a dance again, she will come over and ask me to dance because I showed her respect.  Should you expect any photographer to do anything other than show you respect, regardless of your age?

Jan 07 19 06:48 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

I never request one, but always grudgingly accept if the model wants one... I assume they are just to gauge if I look like a psycho-killer or not (spoiler alert: I look like a psycho-killer)..so the odds are not in my favor. Sometimes after a shoot I will ask if they would like to get something to eat (also not a date) as they usually had to drive a while to get to me.. two hours of shooting and then a long drive back w/o eating??  don't want them passing out from hunger on the road.

Jan 07 19 07:01 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Taylor Kate f wrote:
Am I the only one that finds pre-shoot coffee dates odd?... but the whole pre-shoot to see if we "like each other" or "discuss ideas" just smacks of a male photographer 20-40 years older than me trying to get me out on a date with the facade of it being necessary for the shoot.

Thoughts everyone??

Pre-shoot ‘dates’ are odd, but IMO pre-shoot meetings are not. I agree that pre-shoot meetings are not always needed and may not be possible or practicable in some situations.

However, being politely invited to attend a meeting in order to exchange ideas, discuss arrangements and ask/answer each others questions over a cup of coffee is simply an older way of doing things. This may account for the age group that the young model feels is trying to take advantage of her.

Today, many younger and some older techno savvy people, think that doing everything on a mobile phone is the best way of communicating and are possibly becoming overly suspicious of those of us who like to follow some of the older face-to-face ways of doing things.

Do models today still travel to go-sees, castings, test shoots, fittings, etc in person? Or are all these types of pre-shoot meetings now done by mobile phone calls, emails, skype, etc?

Victoria Morrisa wrote:
Meeting someone can give you a sense of the person's vibe, which can tell you a lot, but it doesn't tell you if the person is safe.

I agree!

Jan 07 19 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

udor wrote:
I usually don't have a coffee meet with models, as I am working mostly on order by either agencies, magazines, designers or other industry people.

I also get hired to shoot model portfolios in my fashion editorial style.

However, I have been approached by the occasional model that wants to shoot with me and asks for trade.

Right now, I was approached by a singer, that recently performed at Carnegie Hall, via a recommendation by a photographer friend, to work with her for a set.

I am actually contemplating a "coffee date" with her, to see what she has in mind, because she also will provide makeup artist and hair stylist.

Then I am seeing this thread and the model's responses and I am confused.

Never thought of coming off as a middle aged creep until now.

Professionally... she approached me, she has some gowns and a designer, and I just don't see anything wrong with meeting prior to the shoot to discuss ideas, concepts and logistics.

This is starting to become a world I am not familiar with anymore.

Weird!

Trust your vast experience Udor - over a single Models opinion

Jan 07 19 10:30 am Link

Photographer

Sliver-Sliver

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Taylor Kate f wrote:
Side note: The last time I agreed to one, I arrived to meet the photographer (a male much older than me). He proceeded to tell me he actually wanted me to do a NUDE YOGA shoot. He also said he wanted to take me shopping to buy lingerie for the shoot, despite it being a nude shoot??? Needless to say, I never worked with him and my time was wasted.

Interesting. I would have seen this as the very description of time well-spent, as opposed to the alternative of not having gone to the meeting, and then finding out mid-shoot that each other's ways of working did not align.

Jan 07 19 01:16 pm Link