Forums > Model Colloquy > I wanna be a photographer just to get girls!

Model

Semora

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

I always wondered why there are so many men photographers that refuse to shoot men? Some reasons i thought of. Some, and i say some, become photographers (shooting woman not nature and that good stuff) because they can't get girls at first and used this to get girls, maybe because they were SHORT, nerdy, not as attractive, whatever(you will see in this thread who will be offended by that wink  )..but then discovered girls don't care..they just want their free pictures, then the guy gets good and just do it for extra cash. If you did it for the ladies..just say it! Who cares. the world wil still turn!

What made you pic up a camera. or why don't you shoot men?

Oct 11 05 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

R. Olson (RO)

Seattle, Washington, US

Semora wrote:
I always wondered why there are so many men photographers that refuse to shoot men? Some reasons i thought of. Some, and i say some, become photographers (shooting woman not nature and that good stuff) because they can't get girls and at first and used this to get girls, maybe because they were SHORT, nerdy, not as attractive, whatever..but then discovered girls don't care..they just want their free pictures, then the guy gets good and just do it for extra cash and maybe sleep with a couple of them if they are nice to the model.

Plus..does anyone have landscapes/flowers or butterflies i can purchase for this health website leave response in my box. Thanks

Until recently I wasnt comfortable shooting male models. But now I do.

Oct 11 05 05:49 pm Link

Model

Semora

cool. I guess i can understand. Its a man thing right. There are alot of males that wants to be models, if you have a couple in your books i think they would be willing to pay..[shruggs shoulders] hmm maybe

Oct 11 05 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

C Hansen Photography

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

Never had the opportunity to shoot male models.  The market in Yuma is very very small.  The males I'd contacted in the Phx area never replied.  Finally a male model has made an appearance at the open shoot I attend in Tempe.  I'm looking forward to working with him next month.

Oct 11 05 05:51 pm Link

Model

na52

I want to be a photographer for that reason!...
what can I say?...i love the ladies ; )   lol

men have it easy..just look good and be there...

Oct 11 05 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

Semora wrote:
I always wondered why there are so many men photographers that refuse to shoot men? Some reasons i thought of. Some, and i say some, become photographers (shooting woman not nature and that good stuff) because they can't get girls and at first and used this to get girls, maybe because they were SHORT, nerdy, not as attractive, whatever..but then discovered girls don't care..they just want their free pictures, then the guy gets good and just do it for extra cash and maybe sleep with a couple of them if they are nice to the model.

Plus..does anyone have landscapes/flowers or butterflies i can purchase for this health website leave response in my box. Thanks

i do shoot men as well but my calling is chix
i also shoot landscape and wildlife if you wish to purchase some shots for the web-site you mentioned email me.also take a look at my site www.donmon.com

Oct 11 05 05:52 pm Link

Model

Semora

Good luck with your first male shoot.

Oct 11 05 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

R. Olson (RO)

Seattle, Washington, US

Semora wrote:
cool. I guess i can understand. Its a man thing right. There are alot of males that wants to be models, if you have a couple in your books i think they would be willing to pay..hmm maybe

No, it was a posing thing actually. All the poses I knew applied to female models. So I was worried about using the wrong pose with a male model. smile I, personally, have two currently in my printed book.

Oct 11 05 05:53 pm Link

Model

Semora

The Don Mon wrote:
i do shoot men as well but my calling is chix
i also shoot landscape and wildlife if you wish to purchase some shots for the web-site you mentioned email me.also take a look at my site www.donmon.com

Your site rocks!

Oct 11 05 05:53 pm Link

Model

Semora

R. Olson (RO) wrote:

No, it was a posing thing actually. All the poses I knew applied to female models. So I was worried about using the wrong pose with a male model. smile I, personally, have two currently in my printed book.

True. when i get my camera i think shooting men would be difficult too because you don't want the posing to look too gay unless that is the look you are going for. So i agree with the male posing..lol smile

Oct 11 05 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

House of DL

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Semora wrote:

I do not refuse, but the ratio of feamle models to male models is high!  I have only been contacted by two male models for a shoot, did one and the other did not show up!

You can sleep with the models! - Oh my god! Just think of all the time I have wasted just shooting their pictures because I enjoy creating something.  I di not think they would like the old balding. pot bellyed , nerdy person I was!  This puts thing in a new light!

I picked up my camera because a "Fasion Photographer" did such a bad job on a young ladies first shoot for an agency, that this girl cried for two days! I knew I could do better and I did, she smilled for months after that!!! That was why and that was my reward!

Oct 11 05 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

bman

Hollywood, Alabama, US

Semora wrote:

I've shot many men (but only if they pay!!!),
and yes.....I shoot girls because it's more fun than shooting trees.
Yes,
I started shooting trees in college untile I realized...this is absurd.
I should be shooting chix!

A pet peeve of mine.
Gay guys shooting hot chicks......PLEASE STICK TO SHOOTING MEN!!!!!
I mean christ,
I don't make a point to shoot gay men......
To me,
this distorts the industry,
especially in fashion.
Gay guys.....are shooting women in a way that appeals to gay designers and other women.
Sadly,
it's not oriented for men.........that's why,
I could care less shooting fashion.
Have no interest in that world.

Photographer

Sponge Studio

Waltham, Massachusetts, US

I wouldn't say I'd never do it, but women are more aesthetically pleasing to me, to say the least. And no, I don't do this to "get chicks."

Photographer

sokhos

Boston, Massachusetts, US

For me its not about male/female, its just about making dynamic images.  ( i know that sounds really cheesey, but its the truth)  I'm shooting more men than women these days and its great. the human body is amazing, its doesnt matter if they are male or female.
still, i'm not going to BS, being a heterosexual male fashion photographer definately has its perks.
Just don't be a slimeball, keep it professional.  if a photog hits on you during the shoot tell them its innapropriate. if they ask you out for a drink after the shoot, thats another story.

Oct 11 05 05:58 pm Link

Model

Semora

Jack Checkowy wrote:
I do not refuse, but the ratio of feamle models to male models is high!  I have only been contacted by two male models for a shoot, did one and the other did not show up!

You can sleep with the models! - Oh my god! Just think of all the time I have wasted just shooting their pictures because I enjoy creating something.  I di not think they would like the old balding. pot bellyed , nerdy person I was!  This puts thing in a new light!

I picked up my camera because a "Fasion Photographer" did such a bad job on a young ladies first shoot for an agency, that this girl cried for two days! I knew I could do better and I did, she smilled for months after that!!! That was why and that was my reward!

THat's funny lol.. Yo go. good job!

Oct 11 05 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I don't do tfps so I shoot what is sent to me. Girls do prevail there, but I did shoot boys too.

On the other hand, when I shoot stuff for myself, I prefer shooting female models - I find female body the most beautiful thing in the world and because I don't have the same feelings with male bodies I think I wouldn't be able to capture its beauty right.

Oct 11 05 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Semora wrote:

I tried shooting men and I suck at it.  I did get some great photos

https://www.pbase.com/digitalcmh/image/39751983.jpg
https://www.pbase.com/digitalcmh/image/39751531.jpg

but this attribute more to HIM than me.  He was a character so I just kept shooting.  What helped too was my friend Tina that arranged the shoot (she's modeled for me and he's a classmate of hers).  She made suggestions.  Things she felt would be good.  Me...I shoot women because in the very least, I'll get photos that *I* like.  Fortunately, the women I shoot like what I often like too.  But with men...seriously, I haven't a clue as to how to pose them.  If a guy wants to be sexy...I'm like a deer in headlights...I don't know what to do.  I'll shoot a guy, but only if there is a girl present who has a good idea of what poses work because otherwise, I just don't think I have the feel or eye for it.

Oct 11 05 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

If I were doing this to get chix, I'd be a miserable failure. 

But I adore women, don't understand them, do lust after them, and do photograph them.  All of my best friends are women. 

Whereas I do understand men, don't particularly like most I meet, don't lust after them even a little bit, and they are absent from my best friends list.

Does that explain my position adequately?

-Don

Oct 11 05 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I like dresses, but I don't want to wear them, and I don't want to photograph men wearing them.  Usually.

Oct 11 05 06:03 pm Link

Model

Benny

Brooklyn, New York, US

I have contacted my share of photographers that shot great photos but will not shoot men cause they don't know how to shoot a male model, thats the words from the mouth of the photographers

Oct 11 05 06:03 pm Link

Model

Semora

It's funny because female photographers shoot mainly female as well. Women are easier to work with and there are SOOO many different things and characters you can make them (us) out to be. Men..uhm.."put your arm like this and poke your but out and stick out yoru chest...i mean hands on hips and pucker those lips..You know what...JUST stand there. lol

Oct 11 05 06:04 pm Link

Model

Semora

Brian Diaz wrote:
I like dresses, but I don't want to wear them, and I don't want to photograph men wearing them.  Usually.

LMAO!!

Oct 11 05 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

You mean you can get more girls if you're a photographer?!?!  SWEET!!!

Oct 11 05 06:05 pm Link

Model

Semora

The Art of CIP wrote:
You mean you can get more girls if you're a photographer?!?!  SWEET!!!

Maybe i was just referring to certain "Urban/so call fashion photographers"  hmmm

I think i would mainly shoot women too. i'm not gay..but women are beautifull!! smile

Oct 11 05 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Benny wrote:
I have contacted my share of photographers that shot great photos but will not shoot men cause they don't know how to shoot a male model, thats the words from the mouth of the photographers

That's a good point.  I know how to shoot male actors but not male models.  (Luckily, when I shot Benny, he did all the work.)

Photographer

Zachary Reed

Denver, Colorado, US

no men have come to me yet. in high school all of my homeboys said no. and the last time i asked a guy if i could photograph him he thought i was comming on to him and got pissed off when i told him i was straight. said i led him on or somethin.

Model

Semora

Zach Watkins wrote:
no men have come to me yet. in high school all of my homeboys said no. and the last time i asked a guy if i could photograph him he thought i was comming on to him and got pissed off when i told him i was straight. said i led him on or somethin.

LOL that is tooo funny..

Oct 11 05 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

VisionsofZen

Berkeley, California, US

I actually plan to shoot more men, just don't have much to show for it right now.  I used to shoot a fair amount of martial art sports stuff and have access to that area again.

It is a challenge to pose a guy right to not have him look too feminine, which is why I like the martial arts stuff, they already have the pose ;-)

http://www.adventurersplace.com/zzz/IMG_9609.jpg

http://www.adventurersplace.com/zzz/IMG_9714.jpg

Oct 11 05 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

Wil with one L

Malibu, California, US

Semora wrote:
...because they were SHORT, nerdy, not as attractive, whatever...

Wow, Semora, you managed to describe me perfectly in that line!

I've got tons of landscape, flower and butterfly shots if you are interested.

-Wil

Oct 11 05 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

JenniferMaria

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Semora wrote:

Semora, Semora, Semora,

That is hilarious.  I wonder that as well, since female models tell me their "horror stories" with a lot of male photographers.
As aforementioned by another photographer, the ratio of female to male models is astounding.  If you're dealing with lots of male photographers who only shoot female models, you can get a pretty strong idea of what pleases them aesthetically, so I don't disagree with you there.  However, I know male photographers who shoot mostly women that produce good work and don't hit on their models.  I hope you get to work with more of them.

-Jennifer Maria

Oct 11 05 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

R. Olson (RO)

Seattle, Washington, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Brian there is nothing wrong with wearing a dress. Just ask Jaime Farr big_smile

Oct 11 05 06:14 pm Link

Model

Benny

Brooklyn, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

That's a good point.  I know how to shoot male actors but not male models.  (Luckily, when I shot Benny, he did all the work.)

I didn't do anything I just sat there and looked pretty smile

Oct 11 05 06:14 pm Link

Model

Semora

JenniferMaria wrote:
Semora, Semora, Semora,

That is hilarious.  I wonder that as well, since models tell me their "horror stories" with a lot of male photographers.  I can say that I feel it's a bit more challenging to shoot with male models, because it seems that the majority of the male "models" you run into happen to be pretty boys with attitudes or ugly boys who just wanna flex in front of the camera. 
-Jennifer Maria

Girl your work is goooD!! But it is true. Pretty boys with attitudes or ugly boys who just wanna flex..lol It's a woman's world. lol Gotta get to florida. Hot photographers down there, you are most def one!

Oct 11 05 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Sacramento, California, US

Well I didn't shoot men or woman with much frequency until like 5 years ago for the first 5 years of my professional career. Product illustration and architectural photography was my only bread & butter. It is still like half my income.

It was never about what I wanted. It's always about what the client wanted.

I've never looked at models as clients, models are co workers, art directors and photo editors are clients.

An example of product illustration.....in case you weren't sure what I meant.
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/danhood/goldfish.jpg

P.S. in case your wondering that shot like most of my product work was shot on 4" by 5" on film with no Photoshop. Old school...on film..in camera.. done right the first time....

The thing is though when you do this for a living you get right down to it, men or women, it's all just product.

Oct 11 05 06:18 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Crazy Benny

Rochester, New York, US

I became a model to meet female photographers smile

Oct 11 05 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher M

Sioux City, Iowa, US

I dont mind the idea of shooting male's in my photography, but alot of men do not wish to be photographed, I think men tend ot be a little more anxious about it than women.

Oct 11 05 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

Vanity Photo Studio

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

LOL well I am short but never had a problem getting girls but when I started I shot wildlife and scenics but after getting hurt in Iraq I can't walk as far so I decided to give studio work a shot... I prefer women but not sure why. In My area of Oklahoma it does not offer many very many options you have to take what you can get.. I shoot males students and family portraits but models I have never been ask. Chances are if I did schedule one from an internet site they would not show up anyway if they are anything like the female models that have contacted me

Oct 11 05 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Benny wrote:

I didn't do anything I just sat there and looked pretty smile

Of course you realize you're going directly into my actor headshot book... smile

Oct 11 05 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

JenniferMaria

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Semora wrote:

Girl your work is goooD!! But it is true. Pretty boys with attitudes or ugly boys who just wanna flex..lol It's a woman's world. lol Gotta get to florida. Hot photographers down there, you are most def one!

Semora, you got me before I edited my quote! lol I just tried to edit to prevent bruised egos. (You know they run rampant in this industry.)  Thanks for the comment on my work.  Definitely look me up when you get here. I'll look you up if I'm in a town near you. smile

-Jennifer Maria

Oct 11 05 06:22 pm Link

Model

Semora

Dan Hood MM/Moderator wrote:
An example of product illustration.....in case you weren't sure what I meant.
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/danhood/goldfish.jpg

P.S. in case your wondering that shot like most of my product work was shot on 4" by 5" on film with no Photoshop. Old school...on film..in camera.. done right the first time....

The thing is though when you do this for a living you get right down to it, men or women, it's all just product.

Dude this image is Amazing!! LOVE LOVE the lighting. no photoshop you go!

Oct 11 05 06:23 pm Link