Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Finding a lady (model)

Photographer

Infinitely Femininee

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

This is just mission impossible. I have talked to so many women after some emailing....nothing. They are all flakes. That is among the few that actually respond. I have to fly someone in from the east or west coast to pose??? Jes...

Oct 14 12 02:12 pm Link

Model

Julia Steel

Sylvania, Ohio, US

you can fly me in smile

Oct 14 12 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Must be something you are saying that is turning them away . . .

Oct 14 12 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Infinitely Femininee wrote:
This is just mission impossible. I have talked to so many women after some emailing....nothing. They are all flakes. That is among the few that actually respond. I have to fly someone in from the east or west coast to pose??? Jes...

That's a huge metro area you're in; if you're making any reasonable request / offer you should be able to get models.  Maybe offer a modest payment?

Oct 14 12 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

What are you offering them?

Oct 14 12 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

Infinitely Femininee

The last lady was 40/hour. Is this way off?

Oct 14 12 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

Infinitely Femininee

Actually it never reaches rates! One lady did. she wanted 75. She did not respond after I said OK. All flaky ladies I think.

Oct 14 12 02:35 pm Link

Model

Nicole Nu

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

You're offering to pay a models rates and she still doesn't respond to you?

What are you saying to them? There's something missing in this story.

Oct 14 12 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

Eastfist

Green Bay, Wisconsin, US

Money talks.  Offer what you think they are worth. If there's a mutual agreement, she shows up, you get your photos.  All honor-system, no BS.

Oct 14 12 02:40 pm Link

Model

Deleted111

Abbeville, Alabama, US

I'm in your area!

xoxo

Oct 14 12 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

Infinitely Femininee

Art of the nude wrote:
That's a huge metro area you're in; if you're making any reasonable request / offer you should be able to get llamas.  Maybe offer a modest payment?

Seems like a big area but very few women even respond. I found one since July. (and I found her on CL NOT MM)

Oct 14 12 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

if you can't get them on trade consider paying. and the traveling nude models are awesome!

getting really good can help as well. post in critique forum if you want comments on your images.

and maybe make your profile more positive?

Oct 14 12 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

Infinitely Femininee

NicoleNudes wrote:

The pictures are similar what I have done. (nudity so I noticed one of you should not click on this link)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/Ready/Tracy.jpg

twoharts wrote:
if you can't get them on trade consider paying.

I would never even consider trade. I am lucky to get paid!!

Oct 14 12 02:49 pm Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

Try posting in the critique forum and ask models if there's anything about your portfolio or written profile that may be a potential turn-off.  I'm sure you'll get some enlightening answers. 

What I can tell you here is that your profile is relatively new, so you'll have to work a little harder in the beginning to get quality models to work with you.  Once you develop a reputation on MM, and models can get references on you from other MM models, I think you'll have a much easier time.

Oct 14 12 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

Infinitely Femininee

Well I just can't believe how hard it is to find a lady to just stand, sit, ....even more difficult. lay there for money. And being on MM is worthless so far. I have find ladies on craigslist. Really sad.

I thought going to an....(exotic) club, maybe I'd find a few women. Hah, that was a mistake. They were offended with the offer.

Oct 14 12 03:21 pm Link

Model

Deleted111

Abbeville, Alabama, US

It has something to do with you, finding models when your offering to pay is not hard at all. Even with nude work.

Oct 14 12 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

Infinitely Femininee

ooook

Oct 14 12 04:13 pm Link

Model

Jordan Bunniie

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Well I just can't believe how hard it is to find a lady to just stand, sit, ....even more difficult. lay there for money. And being on MM is worthless so far. I have find ladies on craigslist. Really sad.

I thought going to an....(exotic) club, maybe I'd find a few women. Hah, that was a mistake. They were offended with the offer.

You really think all models do is stand sit and lie?

Certainly you dont have this attitude when contacting models?

Oct 14 12 04:26 pm Link

Model

IDiivil

Los Angeles, California, US

Genevieve Gleich wrote:
It has something to do with you, finding models when your offering to pay is not hard at all. Even with nude work.

+1

I can think of a few things, but you should start a thread in critique and link it here so we can be more open with our thoughts regarding this subject.

Oct 14 12 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Your attitudes toward models, strippers and modeling may have something to do with your lack of success in finding a model who'll put up with your shit.

Oct 14 12 04:49 pm Link

Model

Deleted111

Abbeville, Alabama, US

ooook

Point proven. I agree with all the other ladies who have posted

Oct 14 12 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Well dancers and models are not even close to the same thing, that could be part of your problem.

BTW Most dancers can make $40 in two songs...

Oct 14 12 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Art of the nude wrote:
That's a huge metro area you're in; if you're making any reasonable request / offer you should be able to get models.  Maybe offer a modest payment?

Seems like a big area but very few women even respond. I found one since July. (and I found her on CL NOT MM)

I have a couple models in the twin cities who agree do shoot with ME, and I've far, far away. 

NicoleNudes wrote:

This.

Oct 14 12 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

KeithD3

Saint Joseph, Missouri, US

I traveled through the twin cities last year on my way to Duluth for vacation.  I was able to set up a TF shoot in the cities and another up on the North Shore.  It took quite a few pm's and some follow up but not an extraordinary amount.

My experience there was about the same as in my home area.  The better quality work you have the more choices you have in who you work with.

Oct 14 12 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Matt Throop Photography

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

I have zero problems getting a hold of and working with models from this site.  But I do get no responses and I just move on. It's no skin off of my back.

Post a casting call with what you're looking for and if you're willing to pay. I'm sure you'll get some responses especially if you're paying.

Oct 14 12 05:25 pm Link

Model

Nicole Nu

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Genevieve Gleich wrote:
It has something to do with you, finding llamas when your offering to pay is not hard at all. Even with nude work.

Exactly. Which is why I think something's missing from this story.

Obviously somewhere along the line the OP says something/does something so the llamas no longer want to work with him.

Oct 14 12 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Supermodel Photographer

Oyster Bay, New York, US

Finding a lady (model)

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:

+1*

* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3Kf1Iy5E6U

Oct 14 12 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

Mountain Image

Morgantown, West Virginia, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:

I don't completely agree. I have the same problem no matter what I say. I am lucky to get 1 of 3 to even respond. It has gotten to the point where I actually reply to the ones who DO say they aren't interested saying thank you for taking the time to respond.

Oct 14 12 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

Mountain Image

Morgantown, West Virginia, US

NicoleNudes wrote:

Exactly. Which is why I think something's missing from this story.

Obviously somewhere along the line the OP says something/does something so the models no longer want to work with him.

I got a reply today to a request for quotation of rates today that was $500 an hour for a nude shoot from a model listing "some experience. I also have had models not replying to requests to do a paid shoot. Generalizations just do not cut it on this topic.

Oct 14 12 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

eos3_300

Brooklyn, New York, US

Nobody smells something fishy here ??
Semi-new profile
Almost Zero postings
The strange language used
You always fall for these guys

Oct 14 12 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Supermodel Photographer

Oyster Bay, New York, US

eos3_300 wrote:

That reminds me of something:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=104085

Oct 14 12 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

eos3_300 wrote:
Semi-new profile
Almost Zero postings

Games are certainly possible.  But, believe it or not, it's possible to be brand new and socially awkward.

Oct 14 12 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Mountain Image wrote:

I don't completely agree. I have the same problem no matter what I say. I am lucky to get 1 of 3 to even respond. It has gotten to the point where I actually reply to the ones who DO say they aren't interested saying thank you for taking the time to respond.

If I recall the twin cities have a population about 3 time larger then your entire state, there is somehting wrong with his approach and I think we have all seen evidence of that.

Oct 14 12 06:08 pm Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

If you are looking for models for paid shoots here is a short cut method that might work:

Simply message the models you are interested in and include some photo examples of what you want as well as including the amount of time you would like to shoot and what you are offering in terms of rates.

I also recommend the critique idea that many others have been suggesting.  ^_~

Oct 14 12 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

R80

Marceline, Missouri, US

You live in the Twin Cities of MN and you can't find models??  You must be approaching them with one hell of a negative attitude.  I lived and photographed in that area for years and never had any trouble and there was no MM or anything of the like back then, let alone internet.

You're in the heart of one of the most liberal, California-wanna-be areas of the country and you can't find models?  That stuns me. You are on the level, right?

Places I've never had trouble finding females to model: buses, beaches, on the street, libraries, school, parks, bowling alleys, the malls, banks, book stores, art galleries, the student union on the Mpls campus, parties, Dinkytown (although I've heard it's not what it once was), love-ins (okay, those are passe), Como Park, the New Zoo (especially!), and who knows where else. 

You have multiple colleges around full of liberal, sensual females, many interested in both arts and modeling.  You should at least be able to find a nude study model there or through their art department.  Check the college newspapers.

MN is full of progressive, beautiful women and a good number of them aren't overweight yet.  To be honest, I've had better luck in MN than in Europe.  You desperately need do a serious analysis of your social skills and polish up the rough spots or something.  Are you throwing out vibes of a lack of confidence or just coming across as creepy?  Do you have a portfolio of your work to show?  Business cards?  If not, get some.

Oct 14 12 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

DAN CRUIKSHANK

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Profiles should be upbeat, professional, and inviting.

Selecting only genres that involve some degree of nudity can scare models off, and falls perfectly into the dreaded GWC  category... especially when the photographer is new.

Just sayin’ wink

Oct 14 12 06:28 pm Link

Artist/Painter

aquarelle

Chicago, Illinois, US

And stop calling them ladies! smile

Oct 14 12 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

MesmerEyes Photography

Galveston, Texas, US

Supermodel Photographer wrote:
That reminds me of something:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=104085

sfdfdsa omg stfu rotflmao

Oct 14 12 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Moderator Note!
Rants do not belong in the industry forums.

Thread moved.

Oct 14 12 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

Renato Alberto

San Francisco, California, US

I read your post, and had a hard time believing that in your area you could not find a model to work with you, specially if you are willing to pay their rate.
I am not trying to start anything or put you down or anything, just some advice. As I kept reading your posts, I think it has to be your attitude towards the model. All you think a model does is stand there, or sit there or lay there. It's like a model saying that a photographer all he does is press a button! Also cm'on going to a strip club to find a model....smile
I travel all over the world, and have never had a problem finding a model to shoot in any city I am in. Either to improve myself or for work. Either TF or paying the model, and yes even the model paying me.

I really think if you change your attitude just a little and start seeing and talking to these "ladies" as the amazing artists they are, you will not have any problems finding models to work with you.

Just my $0.02

Good luck to you...

Oct 14 12 08:10 pm Link