This thread was locked on 2008-08-27 13:24:21
Forums > Critique > The Dark Critique Parlor

Photographer

Erebus Media

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

SPRINGHEEL wrote:
I understand, believe me....I'm a frustrated filmmaker myself.....I can see you're bringing a cinematic look to your photography....keep it up my friend....

Yup but its going to be good long road ahead of me that I am excited about especially since I just started the photography in October of this year...I am more of a poet and now am putting my words into images....

Dec 04 06 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

thanks SH... interesting, you really seem to like some that I don't care for all that much. As far as the cindy picture having her skin too airbrushed.... that's just cindy, if you look closely you'll see a few viens under the skin. She is pretty much flawless.... it might be an optical trick from the reds against her olive skin that makes her seem a little more golden and flawless.

Dec 04 06 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

Brett Wyatt

Denver, Colorado, US

I'd love a critique!

Dec 04 06 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

Pixel Fist

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

ravens laughter wrote:
... She is pretty much flawless....

Flawless girls are wonderful.  I have one one in my pics.  I also have one that I partially smoothed (a full-size shows plenty of texture), and the rest are touched up.  But it isn't all skin in my port.
I don't think my stuff is exactly dark, but if you feel like it, I'd like to hear your views.

Dec 05 06 01:53 am Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

SPRINGHEEL wrote:
Ahhhhh Nihilus.....one of my favorite artists here....this is indeed an honor....

Its just great to see someone who specializes in "Dark" sexuality and doesn't pander to exploitation....

Wow. On the contrary, I feel the honor's completely mine. Pardon me if i'm a bit speechless at the moment. All your critiques (and moreso the critical ones...for how else does one learn?) are extremely appreciated. Thank you.

Dec 05 06 02:34 am Link

Model

Mari Syn

San Juan, Texas, US

SPRINGHEEL wrote:

I believe that smile is an invitation?  I can't resist when a lovely woman smiles....

Row 1 Photo 1-I like this....nice use of shadow and the skull is a nice touch.....you're just adorable....

Photo 2-This would be a real keeper if it were lit better....as is, not so good....

Photo 3-Okay, full disclosure....I HATE snakes....however, I LOVE beautiful, chesty women....

;-)

Anyway, the only thing that doesn't work for me here is the light across you breats....its too bright, it could use deflection....

Photo 4-You both have a fantastic look....however, this one once again looks like a snapshot....

Row 2 Photo 1-there is an honesty here that I like....the composition is not as good as it could be though.....

Photo 2-You look beautiful.....this comes of like a well lit and clearer version of a self taken MySpace photo....

Photo 3-You are absolutely adorable....you have amazing eyes....you're looks are the only think saving this tho....technically, this shot is just not good at all...

Photo 4-I really like your expression here.....unfortunatly, its the only thing of note in this shot....

Row 5 Photo 1-This is a snapshot but I kind like the mood of it....feels like you're going out to the club in abit....

You and your husband have great, unique looks....you're an absolute doll....I think you have a good future in alt modeling but you absolutely MUST hook up with better photographers...

Good luck hun....

Thanks for your honest critique on my pics! I appreciate it! This is a whole new world for me, so any pointers are great! My photographer and I are both getting started and helping each other out.. the more pix she takes..the better she gets.. and visa versa... ( I think that's spelled right) Anyway.. thanks again!
big_smile

Dec 05 06 09:57 am Link

Model

Rhaela

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I'm in. I need a constructive portfolio critique.

I can see things in my port that i have been working on. Things i personally see as flaws in my work, and i think i have a pretty much unbiased opinion of myself.

Care to indulge?

-Rachel

Dec 05 06 11:07 am Link

Photographer

Craig A McKenzie

Marine City, Michigan, US

Your stuck now with the critiques...for the dark.
Please don;t short out on me.

let me have it, you will see that I have some dark work.

Dec 05 06 11:17 am Link

Photographer

Kollisions Studio

Los Angeles, California, US

SPRINGHEEL wrote:

So after reading your "About me" I went and took a gander at your portfolio.....and went back and reread your "about me"....You only started this year?????

Whoa....VERY impressive.....

Row 1 Photo 1-And with your first photo, you kick my ass....Great model, coloring lighting, composition....hell, everything about thsi works....

Photo 2-Very nice capture of those lovely eyes....the lighting shouldn't fade down the face though....makes it look like artifical, photoshopped lighting....not sure if it is or not....

Photo 3-Lovely model, great expression....there is a slight angle to this that I don't think portrature like this warrants though....

Photo 4-I love everything about this photo but the background.....an image like this deserves to look fully dynamic and this (what looks like a garage door) works against it....

Row 2 Photo 1-Lovely and human....I'm crazy about this shot.....

Photo 2-Okay, I'm going to be a total guy here....OMFG what a sexy woman....great composition and color....

Photo 3-i like her face but the same issue I had with Photo 2 in Row 1 applies here only more so....her gloves just become this large black blurr....

Photo 4-And again, love the image (hell I have a similar one as my avatar) but the artifical lighting just doesn't work...

Row 3 Photo 1-Totally wonderful....honestly, this is just super.....this has to be one of the best photos I've seen in anyone's portfolio, esp. as far as concept and exectution are concerned....

Photo 2-Great composition....love the models pose....this feels slightly innocent and yet slightly of kilter....

Photo 3-This is okay....just okay....kind of drab and a bit too much like a snapshot....

Photo 4-Total J-Horror....I actually said "Whoa" when i first saw this....brilliant...

Row 4 Photo 1-I love natural shots like this...what a lovely girl....two things though....I wish her head weren't cut off where it is and what is that coming off of her jaw?  Hair?

Photo 2-This is kinda cool....I like the colors and the image itself.....it just doesn't strike me as hard as some of your ther work....

Photo 3-I want to like this but the mask and watery colors are keeping me from it....

Photo 4-Wow, this is killer....reminds me of that famous National Geographic cover....excellent use of color and I like the composition....

Row 5 Photo 1-Great depth.....this one is great....alittle too much red in her neck but other than that, its damn good...

Photo 2-What an absolute doll she is!!!  This a great shot, simple and to the point....you let the model own the shot.....

Photo 3-This one doesn't work for me that much....the model is too far away and the sky isn't so brilliant that I feel like I should be looking at it instead of the model...

Photo 4-This is nice and simple but i wish we were closer to the model....

Well meet your newest fan....damn man, where have you been hiding????  Its portfolios like yours that made me want to do this thread in the first place....you're one hell of an artist and I cannot wait to see what you do in the future....

wow, that's been the best review i've ever gotten- thank you!

Dec 05 06 12:38 pm Link

Model

karennn

Huntington Beach, California, US

now this is the kinda thread im talking about. critique away. 1...2...3...go!

Dec 05 06 02:43 pm Link

Model

Sirensong

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

SPRINGHEEL wrote:
So I see all these people offering up critiques and have noticed that people who do dark, alt., rockabilly pin-up, etc. type work usually get short shifted....

So i thought, why not offer up critiques for more specialized photographers and models....I enjoy giving advice to others and since I can only really critique work I can relate to, I'm offering up my services to anyone that would like them....

I'll be going through your portfolio and either giving you a photo by photo analysis or just an opinion on the overall work...

My opinions will be based on the work itself and what I think works and what doesn't....I look forward to talking with you all....

Gothique critique
yay!!
It might catch on!!

Please Sir may I play too?

Dec 05 06 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

hallopino wrote:
Sure, I'll toss my hat in the ring. Love to get some feed back.

Oh man, did my ears perk up when I read what you want to do with photography....thats what I strive to do too.....its the filmmaker in me...

Row 1 Photo 1-First off, this model is wonderful...what an amazing face....such strength, she fits this role perfectly.....great costume too...my issues?  The lighting is drab and dark and her pose is good but the sword's blade isn't as noticable as it should be...next time, have her angle the blade ever so slightly toward you...it may look odd but it works...

Photo 2-At first this is just an okay portrait (her right arm should have been lifted more, the flesh isn't tight or flattering) and then I looked at the background...is that blood????  Instantly it became more interesting....try this one again...

Photo 3-I really like the natural lighting here but thats about it....the model has a lemony expression and, I'm sorry, her make-up is just awful....

Photo 4-Very nice warm lighting and composition.....there are too many things going on with her face though...between the jewel on her forehead, what appears to be a mole on her right cheek and the hairs hanging around her jaw, it all feels too cluttered...

Row 2 Photo 1-Oh I like this ALOT....great lighting and composition...excellent concept and it was pulled off subtley....thats always a plus in my book....GREAT work....

Photo 2-Zombie portrait!  I love it!!!  Fantastic make-up, absolutely professional and the model's expression sells this....damn good stuff....

Photo 3-This model is great....looks like a cross between Phil Collins and Bryan Ferry....great expression too...I just feel like I'm missing something....this photo wants to tell me a story but I don't think its quite there....

Photo 4-Boy, I bet this model looked great....unforunately, this photo doesn't do her or the idea justice....too much negative space and the lighting makes her trunk look too big....and it also looks like the darkness is kicking her in the crotch....

Row 3 Photo 1-Another shot just loaded with realistic fantasy....I love this.....wonderful mood....

Photo 2-This is cute and I don't have a problem with the negative space....its just kind of....there.....I wish there were just one other thing happening here....a figure behind her or something like that....

Photo 3-This made me smile and I have no idea why....I don't play cards....lol....I think thats it though, I instantly recognized this situation...its cinematic and atmospheric....good job...

Photo 4-What a wonderful outfit.....part of me wants to say this is too garish but I think thats the point....the placement of the model's hand isn't as delicate as I would like though....I keep thing she might be pregnant.....

Row 4 Photo 1-This is very good...the only thing I would have liked to see is for this to be on location....other than that, I like....

Photo 2-Pardon my French but this is just F*in' beautiful....perfect....my favorite of your photos....

Photo 3-This is very nice....I once again find myself pleased with your subtlety...I do wish her hands were more in frame though....

Photo 4-Outside of abit of harsh lighting this one is just great!  I find myself once again marveling over your ability to take a just a few objects and make such solid images...

Row 5 Photo 1-Love the pose, lovely dress....its just not as well lit as it should be...

Photo 2-Perfection...this is my second favorite photo....I LOVE it....have you ever thought of doing a portrait series of famous villans?  Between this one and the zombie, you have an excellent start....

Photo 3-This feels like a crop of a larger photo....the concept is good but it just doesn't happen here....the magic I've seen in your best work just isn't here...

Photo 4-You nailed it!!!  And don't listen to those that say this should be in B&W...Polanski didn't make Chinatown in B&W and this is honestly an image I would compare to that film....just wonderful all over the place....

My friend, i wish I had 1/10 of your imagination.....it warms my heart to see someone with such vision....my only advice is to go even farther with the more film inspired and fantastical images and try to do more location shots....you have a bright future ahead....

Dec 05 06 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

ravens laughter wrote:
thanks SH... interesting, you really seem to like some that I don't care for all that much. As far as the cindy picture having her skin too airbrushed.... that's just cindy, if you look closely you'll see a few viens under the skin. She is pretty much flawless.... it might be an optical trick from the reds against her olive skin that makes her seem a little more golden and flawless.

You're very welcome RL...hmmmm, that is interesting....I've always found that funny when it happens to me too....just goes to show you'll drive yourself nuts trying to please others right?

That IS her skin!!!!  Amazing....."The Girl With The Photoshop Skin"...sounds like the title to an Emo song.....

Dec 05 06 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

hallopino

Palatine, Illinois, US

SPRINGHEEL wrote:
Oh man, did my ears perk up when I read what you want to do with photography....thats what I strive to do too.....its the filmmaker in me...

Row 1 Photo 1-First off, this model is wonderful...what an amazing face....such strength, she fits this role perfectly.....great costume too...my issues?  The lighting is drab and dark and her pose is good but the sword's blade isn't as noticable as it should be...next time, have her angle the blade ever so slightly toward you...it may look odd but it works...

Photo 2-At first this is just an okay portrait (her right arm should have been lifted more, the flesh isn't tight or flattering) and then I looked at the background...is that blood????  Instantly it became more interesting....try this one again...

Photo 3-I really like the natural lighting here but thats about it....the model has a lemony expression and, I'm sorry, her make-up is just awful....

Photo 4-Very nice warm lighting and composition.....there are too many things going on with her face though...between the jewel on her forehead, what appears to be a mole on her right cheek and the hairs hanging around her jaw, it all feels too cluttered...

Row 2 Photo 1-Oh I like this ALOT....great lighting and composition...excellent concept and it was pulled off subtley....thats always a plus in my book....GREAT work....

Photo 2-Zombie portrait!  I love it!!!  Fantastic make-up, absolutely professional and the model's expression sells this....damn good stuff....

Photo 3-This model is great....looks like a cross between Phil Collins and Bryan Ferry....great expression too...I just feel like I'm missing something....this photo wants to tell me a story but I don't think its quite there....

Photo 4-Boy, I bet this model looked great....unforunately, this photo doesn't do her or the idea justice....too much negative space and the lighting makes her trunk look too big....and it also looks like the darkness is kicking her in the crotch....

Row 3 Photo 1-Another shot just loaded with realistic fantasy....I love this.....wonderful mood....

Photo 2-This is cute and I don't have a problem with the negative space....its just kind of....there.....I wish there were just one other thing happening here....a figure behind her or something like that....

Photo 3-This made me smile and I have no idea why....I don't play cards....lol....I think thats it though, I instantly recognized this situation...its cinematic and atmospheric....good job...

Photo 4-What a wonderful outfit.....part of me wants to say this is too garish but I think thats the point....the placement of the model's hand isn't as delicate as I would like though....I keep thing she might be pregnant.....

Row 4 Photo 1-This is very good...the only thing I would have liked to see is for this to be on location....other than that, I like....

Photo 2-Pardon my French but this is just F*in' beautiful....perfect....my favorite of your photos....

Photo 3-This is very nice....I once again find myself pleased with your subtlety...I do wish her hands were more in frame though....

Photo 4-Outside of abit of harsh lighting this one is just great!  I find myself once again marveling over your ability to take a just a few objects and make such solid images...

Row 5 Photo 1-Love the pose, lovely dress....its just not as well lit as it should be...

Photo 2-Perfection...this is my second favorite photo....I LOVE it....have you ever thought of doing a portrait series of famous villans?  Between this one and the zombie, you have an excellent start....

Photo 3-This feels like a crop of a larger photo....the concept is good but it just doesn't happen here....the magic I've seen in your best work just isn't here...

Photo 4-You nailed it!!!  And don't listen to those that say this should be in B&W...Polanski didn't make Chinatown in B&W and this is honestly an image I would compare to that film....just wonderful all over the place....

My friend, i wish I had 1/10 of your imagination.....it warms my heart to see someone with such vision....my only advice is to go even farther with the more film inspired and fantastical images and try to do more location shots....you have a bright future ahead....

Hey, thanks a load for the feedback. Really needed that. I've been wanting to clean out a few pics, and I was leaning twards a few, and I wasn't letting go. But that helps to get an other opinion on stuff.

I had a bunch of stuff I cropped closer to get a better impact in the vertical thumbnail land, when I like to shoot basically 'widescreen'. Think I def need to go back and look at a few.

Thanks for the kind words.

Dec 05 06 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

Brett Wyatt wrote:
I'd love a critique!

Ahhhh, a portfolio filled with beautiful women....thank you my friend, thank you...

Row 1 Photo 1-I think this model is just the cat's meow....incredibly sexy expression....also, I like the realistic feel of this, esp. the pose and lighting....I feel like I'm actually there with her....nice job....

Photo 2-What a face this girl has....the photo itself feels abit too much like a snapshot though and whatever that is thats cinching her waste is just giving her a horrible roll....

Photo 3-What amazing curves she has....this is a crisp image, I like it alot....having worked with very curvy women before, my hat is off to you for capturing her in the correct pose....

Photo 4-This woman is amazing!  nd you've done a beautiful job with the colors here....only thing?  Try cropping this in the middle of her left breast....everything beneath is unnessasary and distracting....if you can't capture all of her, frame her at the breasts....thats a motto of mine btw...

Row 2 Photo 1-This is all well done but slightly boring....I'd have prefered her to have a more sultry or surly expression...

Photo 2-The colors and lighting are really good here as is her pose....problem is the angle....her head is positioned to give her a double chin....she really looks uncomfortable...

Photo 3-This photo wants to be sexy but its too blurry and the feeling just isn't there....maybe its the angle?  Or the pose?  She is just sort of laying there....

Photo 4-Beautiful, wouldn'tchange a thing....everything works here.....

Row 3 Photo 1-I'm just going to be blunt here....this looks like an outtake from Hustler magazine circa 1980....it just doen't work at all....

Photo 2-Of all the "artistic nudes" in all the portfolios I've done critiqes on in this thread, this is the best one.....only one thing.....maybe its the lighting but she appears to have major stretch marks on her left hip....I'd fix that and this would be great....

Photo 3-Train tracks cliche?  Not when they're done like this....excellent work my man....everything here is just wonderful, love the mood....great use of B&W....

Photo 4-The composition on this doesn't feel thought out....I'm guessing this a bound model but I'm having to guess.....this just doesn't work....

Row 4 Photo 1-Gorgeous model, you really do a great job with B&W....just wish the strap wasn't there....

Photo 2-Her position is unflattering and the lighting seems abit harsh....

Photo 3-Great shot, what a gorgeous face....once again, I love what you do with B&W....the wings don't work though....not because they're cliche but because they're distracting....one looks broken....they just don't add anything to the shot and, in fact, take away from it....

Photo 4-This is harsh and I like that.....I do wish her arm and torso would fade into darkness though, it would suit the image even better...

Row 5 Photo 1-Not sure what kind of camera you are using but i wish you could have kept more of her in focus....and once again, this pose just feels flacid....

Photo 2-Everything comes together in this shot....its beautiful....great job...

Photo 3-I love everything going on with the model and hate the background....this would have been wonderful on location...

Photo 4-This is raw, real and sexy as hell....you might have some that would say the lines near her pelvic/hip area are unflattering but that makes it real....I love this....

You do extremely well with color and lighting.....and damn but you've worked with some gorgeous models....I really recomend working on your compositions though and trying some more "daring" poses....youknow what sexy is, don't hold back on showing it.....

Dec 05 06 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

Craig Barrington wrote:

Flawless girls are wonderful.  I have one one in my pics.  I also have one that I partially smoothed (a full-size shows plenty of texture), and the rest are touched up.  But it isn't all skin in my port.
I don't think my stuff is exactly dark, but if you feel like it, I'd like to hear your views.

"Dark"?  Not really....however, a quick look at your portfolio and its obvious you deal with the fantastical...which means you'll fit in just fine...

Row 1 Photo 1-I'm going to be honest, nothing works here....its all too photoshopped and the car in the background adds nothing but kitch....

Photo 2-This is so warm....this is the opposite of the first photo.....I really like this...

Photo 3-I like the texture behind her....the angle is unflattering and it all feels cropped from a larger photo....

Photo 4-I like everything about this except the way she has angled her head and her expression is too blank....

Row 2 Photo 1-I'll be honest, I'm really not a fan of photoshop "art"....that said, there is something about this I like....for what it is, its pretty good...

Photo 2-This would be better if the colors were more mutted....too much light on her hair also, it works against the background....

Photo 3-This one I like....its simple and not cluttered with a bunch of special effects....

Photo 4-This one is almost perfect....if you can make that ribbon look just abit more like its actually on her, this is a total winner...as is, I think its damn good....gorgeous model and Monroe-like pose...

Row 3 Photo 1-I would like this alot more if she just had her left leg up one rung...as is, it makes her thigh look too large....this is a fun image though....

Photo 2-And once again, I find myself thinking photoshop is killing what could be a great photo....honestly, what did this look like before the ribbons?  Its a good shot but could be sooooo much better....

Photo 3-You nailed the retro look....if i hadn't known better, i would have thought this was from the late 30s or early 40s....good job....

Photo 4-Again, the photoshopped background is doing this no great service....I like the model and her outfit....

Row 4 Photo 1-This is one sexy model....putting aside my anti-special effects bias, I really like this one ALOT....great job....

Photo 2-the fire is dynamic....I just think a better pose would have sold this....

Photo 3-Brilliant...best photo in your portfolio.....this one kills....it feels like an advert from the 50s....GREAT job....

Photo 4-I suppose thsi would be nice for someone to have if they wanted to pretend they were a rock star...a nice novelty...its well done but its just too specialized for this girl...as a viewer, I get nothing from it....

Row 5 Photo 1-If the background were angled better and the colors were mutted more, this would work....

Photo 2-Its cute but I feel the same about this one as I did photo 4 in the 4th row....only that one was more professional looking...

Photo 3-This feels like a work in progress....I really don't care for it...

Photo 4-This would be great in a real location.....I do like the colors though....

Okay, I don't think it'll surprise you much when i say that almost everything in your portfolio is just way too photoshopped....I see alot of evendence that you're getting better with every shot and you certainly do have alot of imagination....I'm just kind of the wrong guy to be looking at your work.....thanks for taking the roasting though and I do wish you good luck.....

Dec 05 06 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

Nihilus wrote:

Wow. On the contrary, I feel the honor's completely mine. Pardon me if i'm a bit speechless at the moment. All your critiques (and moreso the critical ones...for how else does one learn?) are extremely appreciated. Thank you.

And I thank you very much my friend....your work is an inspiration and I'm very pleased I could be of service.....

Dec 05 06 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

~m-ODDe Sins~ wrote:

Thanks for your honest critique on my pics! I appreciate it! This is a whole new world for me, so any pointers are great! My photographer and I are both getting started and helping each other out.. the more pix she takes..the better she gets.. and visa versa... ( I think that's spelled right) Anyway.. thanks again!
big_smile

You're very welcome....Having a relationship like that with a photographer is a great way to start out....I envy her having such a lovely model to begin with....

Dec 05 06 06:36 pm Link

Model

Donna Ricci

Burbank, California, US

I'll go up on the chopping block

Dec 05 06 06:38 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Elizabeth Prokopiak

Los Angeles, California, US

I admire the realness of everyone's reply...

Cheers to wicked art

wink

Dec 05 06 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

Somber Lachrymose wrote:
I'm in. I need a constructive portfolio critique.

I can see things in my port that i have been working on. Things i personally see as flaws in my work, and i think i have a pretty much unbiased opinion of myself.

Care to indulge?

-Rachel

Hello Rachel....reading over your "about me", I was struck by how accomedating you are....travel the tri-state are without compensation?  Do you travel alot anyway?

Row 1 Photo 1-I love your look here and I love the location....problem is, they don't match....your look here seems more suited for some type of "glamour" posing and this location looks like a left over set from the film Seven....I suppose that could work but you really don't look comfortable in that tub....

Photo 2-What a lovely lady you are....I like this, the pose is striking and your outfit is very cool....flatters you well....the location makes me keep looking, trying to figure out the scene...I like this one...

Photo 3-Great outfit, great pose....I'm a sucker for stockings....I do wish you were fully in frame though, cutting you off at the calves like that wasn't a good idea....also, the lighting on your face is abit harsh and there appears to be a dimple on your left buttock that should have been fixed there or in post...

Photo 4-As I've stated before, the biggest problems I see with girl-girl shots is the composition and that the models many times don't seem to be comfortable or "inti it"....I like everything here except the other model...its not her looks, its that she isn't "into it"...

Row 2 Photo 1-This is fantastic....everything here makes me go WOW....you really have an amazing body, love the pose, location...everything...

Photo 2-Okay, so the both of you look alittle more comfortable here but everything else is letting you down...that green tint makes you both look sickly, the angle is offputting and you've been cut off at the ankles, making your legs look odd...

Photo 3-Well, at least you don't have that "Yuck, I'm not sitting in this tub" look like you did in the first photo....all the other issues I had with the first one still aply here....

Photo 4-This is nice....simple and intimate...it allows the viewer to just gaze at that lovely face....I wouldn't change a thing...

Row 3 Photo 1-I love everything about this....your look, your costume, that necklace kicks ass....its weel lit and that rug is lovely.....I only wish it was more obvious that you were bound....as is, the viewer makes the asumption but it would help if it was abit more obvious...

Photo 2-You look magnificent.....this is a great showcase for your body and abilities....abit too soft focus but other than that, wonderful...

Photo 3-I really want this to work....the bottom half does (from your waist down)....above the waist, there is too much shadow on your face and the opaqe wings only make the top of the frame too busy....

Photo 4-Outside of too much saturated color and lighting issues, this is good....I really like your expression here...

Row 4 Photo 1-This is beautiful...expression, composition, lighting....everything is dead on....love it....

Photo 2-You have a great 70s look here....the red is fine but the angle is terrible....

Photo 3-This is so damn good I hate to bring up such a silly thing but.....those shoes were the wrong choice.....they're too average...other than that, very good...

Photo 4-I'm repeating myself but here it goes again....I would declare this perfect if it weren't for that unnecessary Dutch angle....

Row 5 Photo 1-You look amazing here...LOVE your hair....the color choice is odd and the placement of your hand seems arbitrary....

Photo 2-Too much negative space....you're shoved into the corner and it feels artifical....I feel like you're doing your best to sell this image but that negative space isn't helping you at all...

You're a lovely girl with a great physicality.....you need to seek out more dynamic, imaginative photographers....and work on your expressions some more....good luck hun...

Dec 06 06 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

McKenzie Bros Photo wrote:
Your stuck now with the critiques...for the dark.
Please don;t short out on me.

let me have it, you will see that I have some dark work.

Short out on you?  Never....I'm in this for the long haul.....we dark, imaginative artists desereve nothing less....

btw-Its an honor to critiqe your work, I'm a a big fan....

Row 1 Photo 1-Gorgeous model, love her look.....I also love the blue.....to me, her face has too much of a wash on it.....maybe that doesn't make sense and I'm unsure of photoshop terms but her face is glowing and the colors are abit too artifical for my taste...

Photo 2-This has such a nice feel to it and the head scarf is a nice simple touch....she has beautiful eyes and her expression is lovely....I would disagree with her braclet though, I would think she should wear something more exotic....

Photo 3-Ahhhhh, one of my favorite models....I LOVE this photo....it has a Bergman's Seventh Seal feel to it....I'm just going to say it, this is perfect....

Photo 4-Another gorgeous shot....the compostion is wonderful, so fluid....love the clarity.....great lighting....and she is just lovely....

Row 2 Photo 1-Its so interesting reading the comments on photos....so many people seem to like the soft focus and yet, to me, its what is making this photo not work....she has a great face and I love the hat....

Photo 2-Oh this is just the sweetest looking girl.....I am crazy about her look....damn fine work all the way around....having her croutched on a toolbox was a cool, punky touch....

Photo 3-Lovely girl, nice look....her eyelashes stand out but seem like an ill fit....

Photo 4-This I like alot....great mood, he has a great look...strong yet soulfull....I would have cut the top midway through his hair though....but thats just me...

Row 3 Photo 1-Damn, there is literally nothing I can say about this photo other than its perfect....thats it.....lol

Photo 2-Hmmmm, not digging the lens flare, it feels fake and out of place....the shoes are abit too dark (I had though she was barefoot and missing toes for a moment)....her dress is kind of drab too....its lit well though....

Photo 3-Gorgeous.....the texture here is so lush I feel like I can touch her....breathtaking model....everything here is just perfect....

Photo 4-Fun photos are usually hard to pull off but this one just knocks it out of the park....what a lovely girl....this is so simple and so well composed....my only issue is with the border....it breaks in the upper left hand corner and that is kind of destracting....

Row 4 Photo 1-I so want to like this more than I do but those starbursts are just too distracting....love the colors and the model is just a doll....

Photo 2-You know, I've just never been a fan of these sort of compositions....sexy model and some of the poses are fun but...ehhh, I just don't care for it....

Photo 3-Ahhh the beautiful Eilispidh....I'm hoping to work with her very soon....the composition, texture, lighting, pose....once again, this is just perfect....

Photo 4-I really like the eye effect but this photo just doesn't seem to warrent it....this is what feels like a standard portfrait gussied up with a neat effect...

Whats truly impressive about your work is when you nail it, you REALLY nail it....I think you have a few weak photos here though that don't exactly bring down the brilliant ones but they don't do them any favors either....your a master with portraiture.....

Dec 06 06 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

Dearest_Grudge wrote:

wow, that's been the best review i've ever gotten- thank you!

You're welcome....And your portfolio is one of the best I've ever seen....

Dec 06 06 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

karennn wrote:
now this is the kinda thread im talking about. critique away. 1...2...3...go!

So i go to your page....I see your avatar and the photo you have up....I read your "about me".....and I'm ready to pull my hair out because you're on the other side of the country!!!!!  You're GORGEOUS and I LOVE your view on modeling....

*sigh*

Row 1 Photo 1-Right out of the gate you kick my ass....this is more fun than one photo can stand....I'm just crazy about this one....

Photo 2-I'm sorry hun but nothing works here....you're cut off at the ankle, can't see your smile, the outfit works against you, the pose doesn't work at this angle....

Photo 3-Okay, now we're back in business....you look great and I like the feeling here....too much shadow on your face and neck though....

Photo 4-Outside of the light being too harsh, this one is really good....hell, I even like the angle....

Row 2 Photo 1-You're just adorable and you do wonders with expressions.....this just feels too much like a snapshot....waaaaaay too overexposed....

Photo 2-Oh if only this were lit better....everything else is just wonderful....love that dress, it looks great on you....

Photo 3-This is perfect, straight up....everything here works....you give 120% and the photographer gave back....love it....

Photo 4-This kills me....you look so unbelievably sexy but ugh, this just doesn't work at all...it would have been better just to have you with a blank white backdrop....

Row 3 Photo 1-I love the pose and expression....the pose makes this sexy but then you dump cold water on it by seeming not interested....great work....the photo itself should be better lit though....and the location seems odd....

Photo 2-This one works better than row 2 Photo 4 if only because you look even more amazing (OMFG what a bottom!) and the background at least fits your look....still wish the background wasn't there though....

Photo 3-Everything would have been perfect if you were shot at a better angle....as is, the mirror image and the shoes are fighting in this photo and the viewer loses out....

Photo 4-Everything I liked about the other one like this still applies and so do the faults....probably not a goodidea to have such similar photos in your portfolio...

Row 4 Photo 1-Okay, so we're starting to have repeat photos here.....I feel the same way about this one as Row 2 Photo 1 only that one is better because the composition is better...

Photo 2-I adore this one...one thing though, I wish you were barefoot....thats not a personal fetish or anything, its because the shoes are too dark and get lost in the shadow....

Photo 3-If this weren't so overexposed, it would be just lovely....you look so natural and sweet here...

Photo 4-Yup, the same feeling about the other two like this one applies....

Row 5 Photo 1-I really like that pose you're doing....if it were in a better location, it would be really interesting.....here it just looks like you're going to break in half....

Photo 2-Okay I was wrong, you do look good in this outfit....this just feels like a total snapshot though....

Photo 3-You don't look real here and the make-up is doing nothing for me...

Photo 4-Nice expression and the make-up works better...the lighting is too flat though....

I know how this sounds after I've been gushing on about you but you really need to find better photographers...ones that could capture all that energy and match you in the imagination and expression you bring....you are so good I think you could make cleaning a toliet look fun and sexy....with the right people behind the camera, you could go as far as your heart desires....I do so hope I can work with you one day....

Dec 06 06 04:31 pm Link

Model

Rhaela

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I don't travel extensively every day, no, but there's not really alot of model/photographer people in south jersey. (the part of jersey that has huge fields, farms, and the nearest convience store is 15-20 minutes away) So i will travel to surrounding areas.

Thank you so much. You brought up a few things i thought about, like the cropping, and the girl poses, but never put that much thought into it. Thanks for the help.

Also- the blonde hair picture was a candid, and beleive it or not it was taken by a mini VHS video camera, and yes, the color is too saturated. It was photo shopped, but compared to the original format it looks alot better.

Again- thank you for the elaborate critique. I appreciate it very much, it's so helpful to get in-depth constructive critisizm.

-Rachel

Dec 06 06 04:38 pm Link

Model

xie

Richmond, Virginia, US

ooh! i would love to have a critique of my work! smile

Dec 06 06 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

Sirensong wrote:

Gothique critique
yay!!
It might catch on!!

Please Sir may I play too?

So far its doing much better than I'd expected....and having a sexy UK lady call me "Sir" is ALWAYS a good way to get my attention....

;-)

Row 1 Photo 1-There are elements here that really work.....you look great and the toys are a great tough....the blood is really good too, disturbing....this this bright blue background that is just killing this fo me....don't know if its the lighting or the color itself but its just screaming fake and distracting....

Photo 2-This I like very much.....such a lovely face.....very well composed and lit....only thing?  The purplish color in the make-up is also on your nose....don't know if it just "bled" down there or what but its slightly distracting....

Photo 3-You look amazing....naturally sexy.....wishing this were on location....thats always preferable to photoshop....

Photo 4-You should have heard the noise I made when I first saw this.....absolute perfection....if I hadn't seen this in your portfolio I would swear it was a high quality portrait of Gloria Swanson back in the 20s....just beautiful...

Row 2 Photo 1-You've such a striking look.....amazing eyes....unfortunately, this is too overexposed and those wings are just not working.....

Photo 2-I could swear I hear you scream....this is so damn rock and roll.....one question-what is that little spot in the corner of your right eye?

Photo 3-Gorgeous....great pose, excellent composition, you really sell this.....abit too much red/yellow in it but other than that, wonderful and sexy....

Photo 4-Okay, I remeber the 80s and this is everything I didn't like about it....lol....I honestly wouldn't have a problem with this if it were more kitchy but as is, is just too much orange and red crushing my eyes....the costume is unflattering and I'm not sure whats happening with your right arm....its so dark....

Row 3 Photo 1-This one knocks me out of my seat.....absolutely unreal.....just wish it were centered more....

Photo 2-Outside of the fact that its certainly eyecatching, this is just....ugh, its not good....your head (is that even your head?) looks tacked on....

Photo 3-This is just cool....I'm not a fan of big obvious special effects in photos (as you could tell by my reaction to the last photo) but this one isn't about the effects, its about more....I like it.....you look like the screamer from the Munch painting here...

Photo 4-Just beautiful....this is what I look for in artistic nudes...simple, pure, well lit and posed....you look fantastic...

Row 4 Photo 1-Absolutely beautiful......this is almost spiritual in nature....just a perfect image and what an amazing figure you have....

Photo 2-I think every photographer tries out the 7 Deadly Sins at one time or another....I did....my Gluttony couldn't even begin to compare to this though....brilliant concept and you just sell the hell out of this....erotic and dark....

Photo 3-Another beautiful portrait....honestly, you are just lovely....I could just study your face.....wonderful capture of you.....

Photo 4-Probably one of the most recognizable photos on this site....its a great concept and it works like crazy.....you look just delectable.....and damn if that kid isn't creepy as hell....the only issue I've ever had with this is that the blood on the stove is obviously photoshopped....

Row 5 Photo 1-Beautiful, just beautiful....photos like this have a tendancy to get overlooked when compaired to ones like the last one but honestly, I prefer this....its absolutely perfect.....I can't say enough good things....

Photo 2-Siouxsie Sioux!!!!  Thats who you remind me of!!!!  You have such a uniqe beauty and excellent rapaport with the camera....I could just watch you do anything...like squat in a bathtub......;-)

Photo 3-My only quarrell with this is the overexposure....love the expression....

Photo 4-What a beautiful image....it may sound cliche but for some reason I feel like this one wants to be in B&W though....

You're beautiful, expressive and have so much life in you.....and it comes out in every shot....I can't see how you could do anything less than become a big name in whatever you set your mind to.....

Dec 06 06 05:53 pm Link

Model

karennn

Huntington Beach, California, US

SPRINGHEEL wrote:

So i go to your page....I see your avatar and the photo you have up....I read your "about me".....and I'm ready to pull my hair out because you're on the other side of the country!!!!!  You're GORGEOUS and I LOVE your view on modeling....

*sigh*

Row 1 Photo 1-Right out of the gate you kick my ass....this is more fun than one photo can stand....I'm just crazy about this one....

Photo 2-I'm sorry hun but nothing works here....you're cut off at the ankle, can't see your smile, the outfit works against you, the pose doesn't work at this angle....

Photo 3-Okay, now we're back in business....you look great and I like the feeling here....too much shadow on your face and neck though....

Photo 4-Outside of the light being too harsh, this one is really good....hell, I even like the angle....

Row 2 Photo 1-You're just adorable and you do wonders with expressions.....this just feels too much like a snapshot....waaaaaay too overexposed....

Photo 2-Oh if only this were lit better....everything else is just wonderful....love that dress, it looks great on you....

Photo 3-This is perfect, straight up....everything here works....you give 120% and the photographer gave back....love it....

Photo 4-This kills me....you look so unbelievably sexy but ugh, this just doesn't work at all...it would have been better just to have you with a blank white backdrop....

Row 3 Photo 1-I love the pose and expression....the pose makes this sexy but then you dump cold water on it by seeming not interested....great work....the photo itself should be better lit though....and the location seems odd....

Photo 2-This one works better than row 2 Photo 4 if only because you look even more amazing (OMFG what a bottom!) and the background at least fits your look....still wish the background wasn't there though....

Photo 3-Everything would have been perfect if you were shot at a better angle....as is, the mirror image and the shoes are fighting in this photo and the viewer loses out....

Photo 4-Everything I liked about the other one like this still applies and so do the faults....probably not a goodidea to have such similar photos in your portfolio...

Row 4 Photo 1-Okay, so we're starting to have repeat photos here.....I feel the same way about this one as Row 2 Photo 1 only that one is better because the composition is better...

Photo 2-I adore this one...one thing though, I wish you were barefoot....thats not a personal fetish or anything, its because the shoes are too dark and get lost in the shadow....

Photo 3-If this weren't so overexposed, it would be just lovely....you look so natural and sweet here...

Photo 4-Yup, the same feeling about the other two like this one applies....

Row 5 Photo 1-I really like that pose you're doing....if it were in a better location, it would be really interesting.....here it just looks like you're going to break in half....

Photo 2-Okay I was wrong, you do look good in this outfit....this just feels like a total snapshot though....

Photo 3-You don't look real here and the make-up is doing nothing for me...

Photo 4-Nice expression and the make-up works better...the lighting is too flat though....

I know how this sounds after I've been gushing on about you but you really need to find better photographers...ones that could capture all that energy and match you in the imagination and expression you bring....you are so good I think you could make cleaning a toliet look fun and sexy....with the right people behind the camera, you could go as far as your heart desires....I do so hope I can work with you one day....

thanks! youre lucky im not easily offended. although nothing was really said that made me feel bad more just about my choice of photos. ive only been modeling for about 4 months and havent had a chance to work with many photographers. ive been putting myself out there though and i know soon enough good things will come smile

Dec 06 06 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

Donna Ricci wrote:
I'll go up on the chopping block

What an "about me" you have!!!!  I'm almost nervous to toss my 2 cents in when I read all those credits.....and I must say, your "Future goals" left me thinking how much better the world is with wonderful people like you in it....

Okay, I must do something that I've not done yet....since you have 49 photos, I'm going to have to pull 20 of the ones I feel I can speak about and critiqe and leave the others...I hope you understand....this is a great deal of fun for me but time is limited.....

Page 1 Row 2 Photo 2-Lovely pose, gorgeous colors....LOVE the dress....I'm not crazy about the wings though....its not because they are cliche but because they seem unreal, an afterthought....

Page 1 Row 2 Photo 4-Sexy look but.....hmmmmm, its about the fashion obviously because the photo itself is just a snapshot....

Page 1 Row 3 Photo 1-This photo is just perfection....I can't even begin to explain how absolutely astonishing this is....this should be winning awards.....

Page 1 Row 3 Photo 3-There are so many things here that should work and on their own, the do...put together though, it just begins to fray and fall apart....i love the concept but its just not working for me.....your head has an obvious matte line around it, your legs look painted.....there appears to be three different lighting styles going on....

Page 1 Row 3 Photo 4-This should be much sexier than it is....its not your fault, you're a VERY sexy lady....it that the photo is too overexposed, your body is getting lost in the white....

Page 1 Row 4 Photo 1-I love everything 1920s....what a fantastic costume....the composition is excellent...this is just wonderful work....I must say though that the lighting on your forehead is too bright and makes your entire head look artifical...

Page 1 Row 4 Photo 2-Even if this is suppose to be about the fashions, it doesn't work....Too dark and too oversaturated....

Page 1 Row 5 Photo 1-I can't tell what this is to be honset....too oversaturated, too much harsh light, your pose caught at an angle that makes it difficult to understand what you're doing....

Page 2 Row 2 Photo 2-this photo is just beautiful to me....the clothes, the pose, your expression....its a photo that probably gets ignored but I just love it....

Page 2 Row 2 Photo 3-This is just simple and elegant....there is the leg of a tripod jutting into frame though....

Page 2 Row 2 Photo 4-I have a feeling alot of work went into this.....unfortunately, its too small to make out the details (I didn't notice your leg was chained until I saw someone mention it in a comment)....I honestly thought this was a 21st century version of the switchboard operator Lily Tomlin played on Laugh-In....am I right?

Page 2 Row 3 Photo 4-You're the spitting image of Mimi Rogers here (thats a good thing!)....this is cute but the yellow is bleeding into your face and giving your skin an odd corpse-y pallor....

Page 2 Row 4 Photo 1-Just sexy as hell....you look so amazing....the lighting across your chest is too harsh though

Page 2 Row 4 Photo 4-Outside of an overexposure issue, this is magnificent....

Page 2 Row 5 Photo 1-This looks like a candid shot of you practicing a fight scene on the set of Sci Fi Channel movie....if thats the idea, cool...if not, it just feels like a snapshot of you in sexy pants....

Page 2 Row 5 Photo 2-The Goth in me went absolutely NUTS over this photo....this is gorgeous....just gorgeous....

Page 2 Row 5 Photo 3-I so love this flapper/Louise Brooks look....just wish the photo didn't look like a snapshot.....

Page 3 Row 2 Photo 2-This is such an incredible look....I have a feeling its a cool location too but this feels more like its about the fashion instead of being about the overall photo...

Page 3 Row 2 Photo 3-Mein Gott this is a sexy look....LOVE your legs here....but damn is that light too harsh....

Page 3 Row 3 Photo 1-Lovely....you have such a cute expression and a really nice pose....I like the colors and atmosphere....

With your credits, you don't need me to tell you that you have an amazing ability to assume an incredibly diverse range of looks....your portfolio is geared more toward fashion (albeit Goth fashion) and I don't think I'm the best guy to be critiqing clothing.....the only advice I would give is to have more dynamic poses in your portfolio....abit more energetic posing would show some range I didn't get looking over your portfolio.....

Dec 06 06 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

Elizabeth Prokopiak wrote:
I admire the realness of everyone's reply...

Cheers to wicked art

wink

Yes, everyone has been very civil and quite flattering....were you wanting a critiqe also?

Dec 06 06 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

AXK Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Hello
I am trying to get as many crits as possible...so lay it on me!

Dec 07 06 12:43 am Link

Photographer

Montgomery Montague

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

It's not my only focus but I have a few darker alt pics in my port and I'd be curious of your opinion.  You don't have to review my more "traditional" pics if you don't wish... It's up to you.

Dec 07 06 12:51 am Link

Model

Serene Death

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Oh, oh, count ME in please, and thank you for creating this thread, I'm so excited to see so many people in my favorite genres in one place! I'm going back in to peep at everyone else's port now.

Edit: typo, ick!

Dec 07 06 12:53 am Link

Model

Rania

Montclair, New Jersey, US

SPRINGHEEL wrote:
I'll be going through your portfolio and either giving you a photo by photo analysis or just an opinion on the overall work...
My opinions will be based on the work itself and what I think works and what doesn't....I look forward to talking with you all....

I know im in the wrong place...Im quite the opposite of dark, but i really like the way you are critiquing everyone's port.
Wanna do mine?

Dec 07 06 01:01 am Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

rania wrote:
I know im in the wrong place...Im quite the opposite of dark, but i really like the way you are critiquing everyone's port.
Wanna do mine?

Tssk, tssk. Not playing by the rules.

Dec 07 06 01:44 am Link

Photographer

Michael Harmon

Austin, Texas, US

Only a small percentage of my images fit into this category - but, I'd like to say, I'm really enjoying this thread and the amount of creative dark imagery displayed is amazing!

Dec 07 06 02:23 am Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

xie wrote:
ooh! i would love to have a critique of my work! smile

well first of all, really nice "about me" section....informative, profesional and to the point....Aubli is your sister?  She is a lovely girl with some very nice work.....

Row 1 Photo 1-I love it when a portfolio starts of with a bang....excellent shot....etherial, haunting....just wish it were composed a little better....it feels like it cuts you off too far at the bottom, you should be the entire image....

Photo 2-I loved this when I saw it in Nihilus' portfolio and I still do....VERY sexy and I think the way the light tappers down and teases the viewer near you pubic area is just super...

Photo 3-Once again, Nihilus brings us a great sensual image....the pose and expression you bring are very stimulating....I believe you have a nipple piercing?  It looks kind of odd here...I hate to say it but its kind of distracting, almost looked like a few stray hairs...

Photo 4-Great expression, LOVE the hair....this photo could have really used more light and/or exposure though...as is, its okay....

Row 2 Photo 1-warm and intimate.....great expression and I like the pose....abit too much harsh light on your arm...

Photo 2-This isn't working for me....the composition and lighting make it too dark and it seems sort of tossed off...I'd like for this to be more about your "extreme" look and it isn't....

Photo 3-Those eyes!  Once again, great expression....too overexposed and closely cropped though...

Photo 4-This is fantastic....everything here is so striking and what a pose!  If I have one thing I would change, I'd have framed the two of you closer....and lit your pants better....

Row 3 Photo 1-Classic....everything here works....you are amazing....at first, in the thumbnail, I had no idea this was you....be proud of your work here...

Photo 2-Ahhhh, this is what I wanted to see.....good portrait; simple and straightforward.....its focus is on you and you your wonderful look....beging to sound like a broken record but great expression....

Photo 3-Cool image, avant garde....one thing that I like is, when I looked at this my first thought was "oh now this speaks" instead of "damn that must have been a difficult pose"....true art should never be about effects, it should be about thoughts and emotion....

Photo 4-Brilliant....this photo kicks me right in the gut.....everything is perfect....my admiration for your gutsyness just went up even higher...

Row 4 Photo 1-I understand that alot of work must have gone into this and you were really putting yourself out there for this concept but this one lacks the narative drive the other did....this is more for effect and I feel it diminishes the impact of the last photo....

Photo 2-You look great but this is just too over exposed and the pose is just boring...

Photo 3-I like the look and the thing with your fists but once again, its too overexposed and feels washed....this should be more dynamic...

Photo 4-This would be okay if the composition were better....it feels just exactly like what it is (girl with head on grass)...it doesn't speak to me....

Row 5 Photo 1-I've a feeling I would like this more if it were larger....feels like there is alot of detail the viewer is missing....

Photo 2-I love the look of this and the outfit....the composition is off...the camera cuts you off in the center of your head and its just distracting....

Photo 3-Another decent portrait.....this could have used some shadow on your chest....

Photo 4-Simple and beautiful....this one makes me study that beautiful face of your's....this is a great photo to have as a headshot....one look at this photo and a photographer sees all all they need to say "Yes, this girl is someone I REALLY want to work with"

You have such a striking look and I think its fantastic that you are willing to go the distance to get a thought provocing shot....keep working with visionaries and you're going to go very far....you've got it....

Dec 07 06 09:28 am Link

Model

Ava Roulette

Reno, Nevada, US

I'd love to be critiqued...

Dec 07 06 10:09 am Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

Alexander Allen wrote:
Hello
I am trying to get as many crits as possible...so lay it on me!

"I am an artist." How refreshing to see someone say that without trying to qualify or justify it....

Row 1 Photo 1-It would help this image greatly to be larger....as it is, I'm not feeling myself drawn to it but if it was larger, I believe I would be....

Photo 2-Outside of a harsh light issue on her face, I really like this....good composition, I like the model's expression and I REALLY like her collar echoing her hair....

Photo 3-Honestly?  This feels like a snapshot....the composition is off, her pose is unflattering, its not telling me anything.....

Photo 4-Too much white....I wish she was in the entire frame....seeing her boots would make this alot better...

Row 2 Photo 1-Too much harsh light and too much shadow....it just feels uninspired....

Photo 2-The image on the left is interesting....I like the fact that she doesn't have the typical suicidal expression....the one on the right I like, the lighting gives it a stark quality and the model sells it....whats with the styrofoam though?

Photo 3-This I love...its direct and thoughtful....great shot....

Photo 4-LOVE the curvature and lighting of her back....abit too much red in her cheeks and nose but its a really nice shot...

Row 3 Photo 1-cute girl....lighting is flat and uninspired....the background color is just too drab....

Photo 2-Gorgeous model....closer crop on her face and this is a damn good shot...

Photo 3-I really like the model's facial structure....thats about it though....I hate to repeat myself but this photo is just uninspired....

Photo 4-This would really be a great shot if the composition were just her face and the fan....having the entire fan and part of her thighs showing just makes it feel like a snapshot....

Row 4 Photo 1-This I REALLY like....everything here works....lighting is great (love how the shadow of her hair falls across her eye)....Great job...

Photo 2-Good pose, good lighting on her body....the lighting on her face is making it shine way too much...

Photo 3-This mirrors the "Real hands" photo and is the lesser....I also wonder exactly "DO" means?

Photo 4-This is just fine, just crop it mid-way through her shoulder...

Row 5 Photo 1-She has great eyes...love the gloves....crop this right below her right glove and this would be fine...

Photo 2-This is just wonderful....I wouldn't change a thing...sexy model, great lighting, great pose.....your best photo....

Photo 3-This is nice...I like the natural feel....the composition is great.....damn fine job...

Photo 4-She has a very nice bottom and I love the outfit and pose....

I found going over your portfolio so much potental in each photo and yet almost every one were drab and uninspired....I feel like you're holding yourself back....it feels like you're stuck in a portrait rut....your two strongest photos were the "Real Hands" and the girl on the couch.....both felt alive.....stay in that direction....

Dec 07 06 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

Montague wrote:
It's not my only focus but I have a few darker alt pics in my port and I'd be curious of your opinion.  You don't have to review my more "traditional" pics if you don't wish... It's up to you.

Oh, I have no problem critiqing more "mainstream" photos as long as the photographer does interesting things with them....a visionary, so to speak....

Row 1 Photo 1-So I have the feeling you didn't have enough lighting so you made this one B&W?  I've done that myself and its perfectly legitamate as long as the image works.....this one doesn't because its about the model and the car and we can't really see either of them....

Photo 2-Not sure this was your originally planned image, it feels like a crop....her hair seems to be in a style I'd think you'd want to have in the composition and quite honestly, her expression looks as if she is feeling nauseaous....this just doesn't add anything to your portfolio....

Photo 3-Was this a test photo?  A test for photoshop?  To be honest, it shouldn't be here....I like the model's legs but other than that, it doesn't feel like it should be in a portfolio you want people to consider your best work...

Photo 4-This is awfully cute....I really like the colors....hell, I like it all okay only her pose isn't the best....she should have her torso positioned more toward the camera....

Row 2 Photo 1-I really like her face and what a sweet smile....the lighting here fails her completely....

Photo 2-WHOA....this is absolutely fantastic!!!!  Everything here works like crazy....excellent use of B&W, love the lighting....and this model?  Such a uniqe look....she almost appears to be a child...this is disturbing and I love it....

Photo 3-Once again, the lighting and use of B&W are just wonderful....this pose is unflattering to her abdomen though and there is something (blood?) above her lip that makes her appear to have a moustache...

Photo 4-If the camera were only getting her face abit clearer, this would be perfect....as is, its a damn good atmospheric shot...

Row 3 Photo 1-Love the sepia tone, the composition, the shadow work on her face....the only way this could be better (its damn good in the first place) is, once again, if she were framed to where her abdomen weren't so promenent...

Photo 2-Beautiful, just beautiful....perfect capture of a lovely girl....this one works wonderfully....

Photo 3-LOVE IT.....maybe it could be better technically but the viscerial impact more than makes up for those flaws....

Photo 4-abit more grain than it should have but this is just lovely....also try cropping the leaves more to where the photo will begin abit more closely to his head....wonderful work....

Row 4 Photo 1-Beautiful work....perfect capture....this is real and yet "arty"....fantastic composition....

Photo 2-This is a good idea but the lighting is too muddy....try this shot again though, there is something there....

Photo 3-Cute model, nice pose....the lighting is too harsh around her shoulder...

Photo 4-Same as the photo before it only I don't care for the pose....

Row 5 Photo 1-She is posed very well and the lighting is very good....I feel like her face should be here though....I'm all for focusing on body parts and not always on the entire model but this feels like it was just focused on her chest and her face didn't matter....if that the case, her head shouldn't be in the photo at all...

Photo 2-This is just okay....crop her at the midway point on her chest and it might be better but even then, its just not that dynamic a shot....like her expression though...

Photo 3-Great pose....its moody but it feels forced....abit too dark lighting-wise...

Photo 4-I would so love this if it weren't for that cell shading thing thats going on with her....sexy model though....

I know you'll probably think "Oh sure, he would think that but I really do feel its your Alt work that excited you the most here....those shots are the ones that seem to have the most thought and "heart".....I, of course, would like to see you do even more work like your "bride" photos but even if you don't, try working away from the "traditional"....

Dec 07 06 02:14 pm Link