Forums > General Industry > Your opinion(s) on group shoots.

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Other than for beginners and social purpose, groups shoots are useless and a total waste.

Apr 10 14 09:27 am Link

Photographer

Another Italian Guy

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Dave McDermott wrote:
On a side note, is there a such thing as a talented GWC?

Definitely!

"GWC" is about intent, not talent.

Just my $0.02 etc. etc.

Apr 10 14 09:56 am Link

Photographer

Personality Imaging

Hoover, Alabama, US

Much better if you just have a beer and let others shoot

Apr 10 14 10:01 am Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I remember a bunch of guys on the floor trying to get the shot of the girl with lingerie on the bed. No room for me, so I got a chair and shot from above. Teehee.

Apr 10 14 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

Another Italian Guy wrote:
Definitely!

Just my $0.02 etc. etc.

Yes and it often shows in their behavior, I don't think you can determine that by an image, bad or good.

Apr 10 14 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Wolfy4u

Grand Junction, Colorado, US

As to the problem of trying to get the model's attentioin at a group shoot, it can be frustrating. When I was doing shoots, I used a ratio of 4 photographers for 1 model. The photographers were rotated every 30 minutes so they got to shoot all models and all backgrounds.
Each photographer would be given a chance to set a pose, take 5-6 versions of that pose and pass to the next photographer. You'd be supprized how many rotations you can get in 30 minutes. Each group of 4 would have a moderator who kept take of the shots and rotations, but also shot in his turn.

Apr 10 14 10:19 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Complete waste of creativity. There are a handful, I'm being polite with that, of workshops and group shoots in the entire nation that aren't completely useless. I've even known of famous photographers who host some of these and they are giant pieces of crap. I've never known any photographer in the history of ever to get a decent shot from one of these things. Not even once.

If you're into fighting for a shot, letting someone else light the model, and 'working' with 'models' who don't know what they're doing then that's the thing for you.

You're going to be more creative, get more experience, more useable shots and learn something by hiring a professional model and setting up a space to shoot.

Apr 10 14 10:20 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Shot By Adam wrote:
It's a great place to see all the area GWCs who are too cheap to afford to get a room at Motel 6 and pay a model off craigslist to go shoot there.

lol

Nailed it.

Apr 10 14 10:24 am Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

Shot By Adam wrote:
It's a great place to see all the area GWCs who are too cheap to afford to get a room at Motel 6 and pay a model off craigslist to go shoot there.

LOL

Sad but probably true.  I've never been interested in participating in a group shoot.  Would much rather work one-on-one. Less hassle, more money, or at the very least, more art is made for the amount of time spent.

Apr 10 14 10:59 am Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

Call Me Caitlin wrote:
Love them, or hate them?

I am curious to know what everyone thinks about them.

As a photographer early on, I attended a total of one. It was organized ok and not horrible, but it wasn't easy to find a spot to shoot from because of all the photographers. And they all kept saying "eyes over here" fighting for the attention of the models.

That and one pretty old guy who came up and told me that I didn't need to use my flash in the daytime. I explained I was shooting HSS and the reasoning, and his reply was, "Oh, you can just do that in Photoshop".

It's not a bad way to network, if you like mingling with a handful of nice photographers, and even more of the "I'm awesome" variety.

I tried holding a small group shoot myself. It was ok, not sure if I'd do it again.

Apr 10 14 11:36 am Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

Model Sarah wrote:
I've never known any photographer in the history of ever to get a decent shot from one of these things. Not even once.

lol

Apr 10 14 11:41 am Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

BlueMoonPics wrote:
From the point of view of a photographer...

I attended a two group shoots a couple of years ago because I wasn't getting enough models to work with me on my own.  The group shoot was fun and I made some friends there too.  And I did get a bunch of pictures to help my portfolio.

It's tough to get a good shot in when there are a bunch of other photographers around you competing for the girl's attention.  This is why I chose to have a few one on ones with some girls to have their time just with me.  That worked out very well.  I still have examples in my portfolio.

For me it was a great jump start for my portfolio.

I don't know what the experience is for the model though.

Yes, it can be a great way to shoot with experienced models for a modest rate during the 1:1's. Basically building a starter portfolio in one or two group shoots.

Some guys attend them religiously. No need for castings, just weekend warriors shooting for fun. Nothing wrong with that.

Apr 10 14 11:42 am Link

Photographer

m_s_photo

Port Moody, British Columbia, Canada

Dave McDermott wrote:
On a side note, is there a such thing as a talented GWC?

Another Italian Guy wrote:
Definitely!

As the token MM GWC, thank you.

Apr 10 14 11:44 am Link

Photographer

barepixels

San Diego, California, US

best kind of group shoot is among friends.  everyone is require to bring a model or two.  few year ago we did one.  4 photographers 8 nude models on a camping trip.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/35269576 18+

Apr 10 14 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I brought this model back to my hotel room to shoot because it was getting windy and chilly outside at the shoot location.   smile

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/131128/05/529741138fd05.jpg

Here is another model from the same groupshoot.  I also was the only one photographing her at this time.
18+
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/1 … 9d720b.jpg

Here is another.
18+
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/1 … 783164.jpg

Another
18+
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/1 … ee2c70.jpg

All of these models are MM models.

Apr 10 14 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Wolfy4u

Grand Junction, Colorado, US

For those who say you can never get a decent image at a group shoot, I have so say that I have achieved a few wonderful photos.

This photo: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/29722799 18+

was taken at a group shoot, that featured, besides Mosh, Kayla Jane Danger, Jeska Vardinski, Scar and others. I got to shoot a model that normally charges $300/hr and created this image.

I rarely attend group shoots now days, but it's a great way to 'test' models and network with models to set up 1-1 shoots. Group shoots also often have 30 minutes 1-1 sessions which is a good way to see if you and a model are on the same page.

Apr 10 14 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Harmon Photography

The Villages, Florida, US

I've attended a couple, but I doubt I'll ever do one again. I've found that most photographers who attend those group shoots can't share. More than once it's happened where the organizer told the photographers to take 5 minute turns with a model, so I did that, only to have the rest taking much longer turns so my turn didn't come back up again like it was supposed to.

It's much easier for me to set things up on a one-on-one basis.

Apr 10 14 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Some are good, some suck but to a a large extent they are what you make them.

I ran then for many years and most of the photographers came back several times a year for many years so I guess they thought they were worthwhile. Now I go to some local ones and they are very social and as good as the people running them. Sometimes they lack direction, sometimes they are too directed. There are a couple that I am looking forward to over the next two years mainly for the models they get and the locations.

Apr 10 14 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Allen Phillips

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

PLEASE don't start posting photos to prove how awesome group shoots can be.

1. There's ALWAYS an exception to the rule.
2. It's not the critique section so no one can tell you if you're picture doesn't hold up your claim.

Apr 10 14 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Model Sarah wrote:
I've never known any photographer in the history of ever to get a decent shot from one of these things. Not even once.

I don't know but I like these pictures that I took at Pasha's group shoot...

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120928/06/5065a74958dcb_m.jpg https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120604/16/4fcd46dc68468_m.jpg https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111026/19/4ea8bcef474a0_m.jpg

I have more but I took them down because I think I have better stuff now.

Keith Allen Phillips wrote:

2. It's not the critique section so no one can tell you if you're picture doesn't hold up your claim.

Oh, fuk, Too late.

Apr 10 14 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

Blaine Dixon

San Francisco, California, US

I got my MM start at a group shoot. The director turned me on to MM and the model I was asked to give a ride to the shoot turned out to be my first one on one shoot. She was one of the best of MM models I have worked with. However I will not do anymore I work TF now. Some  shoots were better than others some overcrowded with some pushy photographers hogging the best models.

Apr 10 14 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Allen Phillips

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

BlueMoonPics wrote:
Oh, fuk, Too late.

Ha! I'd say those fall under #1 smile
As in, they DO prove you can get good shots

Apr 10 14 12:10 pm Link

Model

wrongsideofthirty

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Personality Imaging wrote:
Much better if you just have a beer and let others shoot

+1000
or maybe even two beers

Apr 10 14 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

myfotographer

Fresno, California, US

I enjoy them for what they are. A chance to network, screen talent, and take shots of opportunity.

I host the annual Spring Fever event in Fresno, CA.  The next one happens to be April 12. There are details on my profile for those that are curious.

I always get great shots at group events.

Apr 10 14 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

LaMarco

Berwick, Maine, US

Chuckarelei wrote:
Other than for beginners and social purpose, groups shoots are useless and a total waste.

+1

Apr 10 14 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Chuckarelei wrote:

Not for me!    big_smile

Apr 10 14 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Model Sarah wrote:

Bwahahahahahahaha

Apr 10 14 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Grady Richardson

Houston, Texas, US

Model Sarah wrote:

These are from group shoots:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130505/06/518662f44c22d.jpg

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130505/06/518662fac1847.jpg

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130825/12/521a5b03950d5.jpg

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130505/06/518662c291556.jpg

I have more, but I think these are sufficient.

Apr 10 14 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Model Sarah wrote:
Complete waste of creativity. There are a handful, I'm being polite with that, of workshops and group shoots in the entire nation that aren't completely useless. I've even known of famous photographers who host some of these and they are giant pieces of crap. I've never known any photographer in the history of ever to get a decent shot from one of these things. Not even once.

If you're into fighting for a shot, letting someone else light the model, and 'working' with 'models' who don't know what they're doing then that's the thing for you.

You're going to be more creative, get more experience, more useable shots and learn something by hiring a professional model and setting up a space to shoot.

My avatar was taken at a group shoot workshop.    big_smile

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121219/09/50d1f99befdaa.jpg

Apr 10 14 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Some group shoots might be ok, but I suspect most are like this:

https://i.azcentral.com/i/d/2/a/L169_CIFR89fa71705b136adbe2f9a2c73c1e4a2d.jpg

Apr 10 14 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

smile

Apr 10 14 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

I'm actually gonna do one better... 100% of the images displayed in this folder (dozens) were captured at SM 'Cruiseboat Photoshoot' events hosted by yours truly.  That's 6 cruiseshoots in the last 7 years... ALL of them were groupshoots.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/2 … l#/A338961

Apr 10 14 01:07 pm Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

Select Models wrote:
I'm actually gonna do one better... 100% of the images displayed in this folder (dozens) were captured at SM 'Cruiseboat Photoshoot' events hosted by yours truly.  That's 6 cruiseshoots in the last 7 years... ALL of them were groupshoots.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/2 … l#/A338961

Why is that "better?"  Whether or not the photos in the folder you linked are "good" is very subjective.

Apr 10 14 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

MelissaAnn  wrote:

Why is that "better?"  Whether or not the photos in the folder you linked are "good" is very subjective.

It's "one better" meaning instead of posting in the thread, SM is linking entire folders smile

Apr 10 14 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

It looks like there are exceptions but you don't want to see them!  You want to perpetuate the myth that all group shoots are bad!  The fact is some people don't research and select good group shoots.

Apr 10 14 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

MelissaAnn  wrote:

What I meant was I was going to do one better than just posting one photo... as I posted a link to an entire folder full of groupshoot images.  Critiques aren't allowed in this forum anyway... so your subjective comment is a moot point... wink

Apr 10 14 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Select Models wrote:

What I meant was I was going to do one better than just posting one photo... as I posted a link to an entire folder full of groupshoot images.  Critiques aren't allowed in this forum anyway... so your subjective comment is a moot point... wink

That's what I said above smile

Apr 10 14 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

CHAD ALAN wrote:

It's "one better" meaning instead of posting in the thread, SM is linking entire folders smile

Thankyouverymuch... wink

Apr 10 14 01:16 pm Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
It looks like there are exceptions but you don't want to see them!  You want to perpetuate the myth that all group shoots are bad!  The fact is some people don't research and select good group shoots.

His point is that some people posting images here may not be seen as "exceptions to the rule," they may actually be proving Keith's point.  Nobody can say though, because we're not allowed to critique images here, which makes posting them to prove a "point" pretty worthless.

Apr 10 14 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

I think he's been told not to.....thankfully.

Apr 10 14 01:17 pm Link