Forums > General Industry > Your opinion(s) on group shoots.

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

Select Models wrote:

What I meant was I was going to do one better than just posting one photo... as I posted a link to an entire folder full of groupshoot images.  Critiques aren't allowed in this forum anyway... so your subjective comment is a moot point... wink

Oh, I guess I didn't see that as "better."  My mistake.

Apr 10 14 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

MelissaAnn  wrote:

His point is that some people posting images here may not be seen as "exceptions to the rule," they may actually be proving Keith's point.  Nobody can say though, because we're not allowed to critique images here, which makes posting them to prove the "point" pretty worthless.

They don't need to be critiqued.  People can judge for themselves.  I can look at them and see whether they good photos.

Apr 10 14 01:19 pm Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
They don't need to be critiqued.  People can judge for themselves.  I can look at them and see whether they good photos.

LOL.  Well that's perfect.  As long the people posting them think they're good, that's all that really matters. wink

Apr 10 14 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Call Me Caitlin wrote:
Love them, or hate them?

I am curious to know what everyone thinks about them.

Opinions are like assholes...   everyone has one and believes theirs doesn't stink.

Personally, I don't love them or hate them.

I think they serve a purpose for many photographers, and in that context they have the ability to be good things and/or bad things.

Of course, there are also many people for whom such a thing has no appeal, and I can totally understand and respect that as well.

As part of my opinion, I view them as social and networking events, not just in the context of trying to produce quality work.

Ultimately, even a group shoot organized by great people is still only as good as the individuals actually participating and what their goals/capabilities are.

So long as the people involved are happy, that is all that really matters.

Apr 10 14 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

MelissaAnn  wrote:

LOL.  Well that's perfect.  As long the people posting them think they're good, that's all that really matters. wink

The Critique forum is mostly random opinions.  I am happy with the photos I posted.  smile

Apr 10 14 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

MelissaAnn  wrote:
As long the people posting them think they're good, that's all that really matters. wink

So true... for in a forum where NO critiques are permitted... what everybody else thinks about said images does NOT matter... wink

Apr 10 14 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Model Sarah wrote:
I've never known any photographer in the history of ever to get a decent shot from one of these things. Not even once.

I am sure there are many photographers better then me out there; but as I mentioned an image I created at a workshop won photo of the year in 2012 by French PHOTO magazine and was the cover.  The contest, by one of the top photography magazines in the world, averages over 50k entries each year.

Apr 10 14 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

AJScalzitti wrote:

I am sure there are many photographers better then me out there; but as I mentioned an image I created at a workshop won photo of the year in 2012 by French PHOTO magazine and was the cover.  The contest, by one of the top photography magazines in the world, averages over 50k entries each year.

Congratulations!

Apr 10 14 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

AJScalzitti wrote:

Major kudos on that accomplishment AJ!... borat   Five time 'Photographer of the Week' award winner here with all five winning entries posted on this MM page... AND... all five entries had winning photos included from SM groupshoot events... wink

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/GaryAbigt/POTW4_zps764f56e3.jpg

Jin&Tonic (Cruiseboat Photoshoot)                           Spyder Fairy (RenFaire Groupshoot)               Mikhailey (Cable Airshow/Car&Truck Groupshoot)

Apr 10 14 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Lachance Photography

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

They were great when I was first starting out, but now I find them counterproductive to producing quality images.  Find that I do my best work when I am working with model one on one, that way I can develop a rapport and really focus and concentrate on posing and technical aspects that one can't do at group or joint shoots.  I have a friend who always is suggesting we do joint shoots which we have done and I wasn't really happy with the images I got, as we were always competing for time with the model and couldn't really get into a groove with her.

Apr 10 14 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Allen Phillips

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

Keith Allen Phillips wrote:
PLEASE don't start posting photos to prove how awesome group shoots can be.

1. There's ALWAYS an exception to the rule.
2. It's not the critique section so no one can tell you if you're picture doesn't hold up your claim.

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
It looks like there are exceptions but you don't want to see them!  You want to perpetuate the myth that all group shoots are bad!  The fact is some people don't research and select good group shoots.

I'm sorry, did you not see #1 somehow?
You're barking up the wrong tree here. While it's true I think they're a waste of time for most people I did say in my first post that I'm sure some people enjoy them and find them useful. That's me saying that they're not ALL bad.

And while it's true that as long as you're happy with your work that's all that matters, if you post a photo, or folder of photos, in a thread asking for opinions on group shoots in order to prove that good photos can be had you're not really proving anything. You're hiding behind the forum rules concerning critiques. Your pictures may in fact prove that group shoot images are boring and repetitive for the most part.

Apr 10 14 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

Personality Imaging

Hoover, Alabama, US

They are awesome so long as you don't shoot and stay away from lite beer

Apr 10 14 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

1. There's ALWAYS an exception to the rule.
2. It's not the critique section so no one can tell you if you're picture doesn't hold up your claim.

I'm sorry, did you not see #1 somehow?
You're barking up the wrong tree here. While it's true I think they're a waste of time for most people I did say in my first post that I'm sure some people enjoy them and find them useful. That's me saying that they're not ALL bad.

And while it's true that as long as you're happy with your work that's all that matters, if you post a photo, or folder of photos, in a thread asking for opinions on group shoots in order to prove that good photos can be had you're not really proving anything. You're hiding behind the forum rules concerning critiques. Your pictures may in fact prove that group shoot images are boring and repetitive for the most part.

I don't find the photos that people posted boring and repetitive.

Apr 10 14 02:51 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

AJScalzitti wrote:

I was being facetious. Jeez guys. That's kind of an absolute statement to be taken seriously.

My point is that the odds are definitely not in the favor of the majority. They are just not a good idea unless, as someone else said, ran really well and hiring professional models/mua's etc. But again, that is very very rare.

Apr 10 14 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Model Sarah wrote:

I was being facetious. Jeez guys. That's kind of an absolute statement to be taken seriously.

My point is that the odds are definitely not in the favor of the majority. They are just not a good idea unless, as someone else said, ran really well and hiring professional models/mua's etc. But again, that is very very rare.

It gives me the opportunity to meet models that I might normally never meet.  One model came up to me after the groupshoot meeting and asked me to shoot.  I was shooting her nude in her hotel room in less than an hour.    smile

Apr 10 14 03:01 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

It gives me the opportunity to meet models that I might normally never meet.  One model came up to me after the groupshoot meeting and asked me to shoot.  I was shooting her nude in her hotel room in less than an hour.    smile

Again, yours might have been the exception. One of the very few exceptions.

Apr 10 14 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

I go to Meet & Greets not group shots, Just to talk and mingle don't even take out my camera. I would never pay to attend a group shoot.

The ones people pay to go shoot to is mostly amateurs shooting amateurs.

Apr 10 14 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

+1

Apr 10 14 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Model Sarah wrote:

Again, yours might have been the exception. One of the very few exceptions.

I heard about the one that I go to from someone.  I've gone there 4 times, have had successful shoots and had fun.  I had a good time hanging out with John Jebbia last year.
Model Mayhem forums seem to be for complaining and ranting.  They don't post about good things very much.   smile

Apr 10 14 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

A-M-P wrote:
I go to Meet & Greets not group shots, Just to talk and mingle don't even take out my camera. I would never pay to attend a group shoot.

The ones people pay to go shoot to is mostly amateurs shooting amateurs.

You would be surprised.  Some do have experienced models.

There is one coming up soon in the area.  I'm not going because it does not look like experienced models will be there.

I fly across the country to attend the group shoot that I like.

Apr 10 14 03:25 pm Link

Apr 10 14 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

Call Me Caitlin wrote:
Love them, or hate them?

For you, it's a great way to network, meet local photographers.

Apr 10 14 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

They run the gamut - One the positive side - I've worked with and met many models that I otherwise would not have.  I have ended up working on a regular basis with some, that I shot the first time at a group shoot.

On occasion - I have gotten some splendid images.

One the down side - some are very poorly run - some suffer from models that are not particularly interested in being there - and they are frequently FAR too crowded.

However, If a model shows - that after a day of all that - they can still be pleasant and want to help people to get good shots. 

THAT is exactly the kind of model I want to work with again.

Apr 10 14 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

Viator Defessus Photos

Houston, Texas, US

A trio of us locally have managed to run "events" where the three of us shoot all day with 6-8 models. Since there are more models than photographers, we don't fight over posing and models. We set up lights in different areas, shoot on our own. Sometimes we trade triggers and use the lights the other person set up just to see a little of how they work. I usually only use shots from these days if 1) I'm using the light set-up that I put together myself and 2) The other photographers didn't get similar shots of that model, in that outfit, with that lighting set-up.

Apr 11 14 12:17 am Link

Retoucher

Sunrise Retouching

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Never been to one, don't have any desire to go to one. Mostly because all I hear is 80% of the models don't show up. So then you got 25 photographers shooting a hand full of models maybe 10. So I don't waste my time or my energy going to them.

Apr 11 14 12:56 am Link

Photographer

Michael McGowan

Tucson, Arizona, US

For models starting out, it's a decent way to get some photos. The two shoots I've been to more than once are CAC and DEAC. In both instances you get to shoot one or two models (or more if you can work it out) for an hour or two at a time on a trade basis. At CAC, everybody kicks in a few bucks for the weekend and you shoot for two days, as many different models as you can.

Sure, there are downsides, but for sheer number of decent practitioners, it's hard to beat.

PS: My avatar is Tomiko at the last CAC I attended before moving to AZ.

At some, like the Arizona Shootout, models and photographers stay over to do private shoots either after the day's activities or even an extra day or two after.

The shoots put good models into close proximity and allow photographers to get in private shoots with people they would seldom see in the same state, much less the same room.

Apr 11 14 01:23 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Michael McGowan wrote:
For models starting out, it's a decent way to get some photos. The two shoots I've been to more than once are CAC and DEAC. In both instances you get to shoot one or two models (or more if you can work it out) for an hour or two at a time on a trade basis. At CAC, everybody kicks in a few bucks for the weekend and you shoot for two days, as many different models as you can.

Sure, there are downsides, but for sheer number of decent practitioners, it's hard to beat.

PS: My avatar is Tomiko at the last CAC I attended before moving to AZ.

At some, like the Arizona Shootout, models and photographers stay over to do private shoots either after the day's activities or even an extra day or two after.

The shoots put good models into close proximity and allow photographers to get in private shoots with people they would seldom see in the same state, much less the same room.

Yes.  I have photographed Tomiko myself.  smile

Apr 11 14 01:26 am Link

Photographer

Camabs

Utrecht, Utrecht, Netherlands

I went to a couple. None of them were very well organized, none of them were horrors either. I didn't get more than an accidental good shot from it, but had a good time at all of them.

I start with low expectations and use the opportunity to try stuff I otherwise wouldn't and/or with models I otherwise wouldn't work with.

Like in the forums, I noticed some ppl at those events that were disappointed. They spent the day complaining. I spent the day shooting. Both them and I ended up without great shots, but I had way more fun and learned a bit in the process.

Apr 11 14 01:32 am Link

Model

Ashley Cancienne

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

From experience of modeling at workshops, I do not do group shoots (workshop or not) unless they are paid and wardrobe is provided. Its usually newbie photographers and you dont get many good photos, so I end up having nothing to show for my whole day being spent group shooting. Also, thats another thing, they are usually an almost all day thing, so if its not paid, its pointless.. I could've done a paid gig or shot with an awesome photographer instead of wasting my day.

Apr 11 14 01:49 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

I don't think it is a good way for a fashion or commercial photographer to develop. While workshops may have some instructional value or one can learn a photography style down to retouching, overall, group shoots may have social points, and friendships may develop, but due to the conditions, the photography is not a strong point of these things due to organisation.

Also the models. If you're really building your book for fashion and commercial you need some agency stat models or models that come close. It is not often you get that at these shoots.

So, as a way to develop I don't like them. I like trips to Mexico but the photography I have seen from even such fun-looking events in terms of the calibre of models makes it worthless to commercial and fashion photographers. Which, of course, leaves everyone else.

Apr 11 14 02:04 am Link

Photographer

Another Italian Guy

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Model Sarah wrote:
I've never known any photographer in the history of ever to get a decent shot from one of these things. Not even once.

Grady Richardson wrote:
These are from group shoots:

<snip>

I have more, but I think these are sufficient.

Are you agreeing or disagreeing with Sarah?

Just my $0.02 etc. etc.

Apr 11 14 05:54 am Link

Model

Ida Saint-Luc

San Francisco, California, US

Model Sarah wrote:

Grady Richardson wrote:
These are from group shoots:

<snip>

I have more, but I think these are sufficient.

Another Italian Guy wrote:
Are you agreeing or disagreeing with Sarah?

AHHH!

Apr 11 14 06:48 am Link

Photographer

4 R D

Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico

First I will say that all the group sessions available in my location are crap. They are organized by hack photographers cramming up 5+ GWC's and a subpar nude "model" in a small apartment to do "artistic nudes". A few use two speedlights without any modifiers at best. Most will simply go with available light and maybe a reflector to make it look "professional". They are very popular because they are cheap and social. These things are not aimed to people actually interested in photography, but to men looking for a cheap sex show. Imagine 5-8 guys all shooting at the same time, all of them at an arm's lenght close to the model. It is a very sexual thing where all the participants leave their sense of dignity at the door.

I did two of them when I was a beginner and needed pictures to start my portfolio. They served that initial purpose and actually now years later I still see benefits from them. My very first nude model which I met at one of these things is now helping me recruit new faces. The other group shot I did actually worked for me as a test ride for one the studios I still use to this day. After those two gangbangs I found nothing else to get from these things and moved onto doing my own shoots.

One thing I can argue is that any good photographer can get a good even original picture from a group shot. I remember at the time I was pretty pissed because they would not let me pose the model nor set up my own light schemes, so what I did was simply to shoot in raw, candid, snapshot fashion. You make the best of what you are given and I am sure that a talented photographer would be able to come up with something good even if the conditions are far from ideal.

Apr 11 14 09:24 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Lumigraphics wrote:
Like anything else, its what you make of it. All group shoots (many 18+/NSFW)

http://tmblr.co/ZJw7HyU1tDnX

http://tmblr.co/ZJw7Hy13efwEq

http://tmblr.co/ZJw7HyY2Yavw

http://tmblr.co/ZJw7Hy4YRB5Y

http://tmblr.co/ZJw7Hy12Gif5m

http://tmblr.co/ZJw7HyZm3V9J

http://tmblr.co/ZJw7Hyf2bs_

http://tmblr.co/ZJw7HylVkVmw

http://tmblr.co/ZJw7HyU1s_2X

http://tmblr.co/ZJw7Hyf37ax

http://tmblr.co/ZJw7HyedEm3l

http://tmblr.co/ZJw7HyZYrswP

I fail to see the point in posting images or links in this thread.

The only way this might be useful is if the MODS just put the whole thread into critique.

Whaddya think guys? Just do it! big_smile
(double dog dare)

Apr 11 14 09:59 am Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

Group shoots are great!...if you absolutely NEED to get shots of a sexy model model in cheap, tacky lingerie holding up two curved fantasy swords while standing in front of a modern day garage door.   borat 

Otherwise, they're pretty stupid and lame. 

I've been to a handful of them, but that was only because at least one of the models involved in the group shoot already wanted to do a TF shoot with me and we figured we'd use the location to our advantage.  So, while I'm just paying the entrance fee and getting to shoot with the model of my choice for free, all the other guys there are paying hundreds, if not thousands of dollars for 30-minute blocks of time to shoot more of their lame concepts. 

Unfortunately, you have to wait a bit before the one-on-one sessions become available and get to shoot what YOU really want to shoot.  In the meantime, you watch as a group of about 8 to 15 photographers try to get the attention of the one model who's showing more skin than the other models during the group-shoot portion.  Either that, or you're listening to them try to get two models who aren't anywhere near being lipstick lesbians to hug and hold each other passionately as if they are actually into each other.

And while some people do get some usable "glam" images for their portfolios, the majority of people there just get a bunch of poorly shot soft core T&A shots with the same lighting and styling as the guys on either side of them.  Of course, they'll edit the shit out of the photos as soon as they get home and post them here in the forums right away, like some kid sticking his latest crayon drawing on mommy's refrigerator door, then send virtual high fives to everyone else who posted similar images.

In my opinion, group shoots are great way for models to make some cash by selling their dignity to socially retarded mouth breathers who'll probably sell their shitty images to adult web sites, so sex addicts and teenage boys can get their daily practice playing the skin flute.  They're not geared for anyone who wants to create classier nudes or fine art though, so I won't bother ever going to them again.

Apr 11 14 10:04 am Link

Photographer

J Millman Photography

Norwich, England, United Kingdom

Each to their own....can't say I'd ever get involved in any type of group shoot though.

Apr 11 14 10:17 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Call Me Caitlin wrote:
Love them, or hate them?

Like herding cats.

Apr 11 14 10:31 am Link

Photographer

K E E L I N G

Peoria, Illinois, US

I'm not very impressed with the lack of confidence displayed by some of the photographers in this thread who I consider to be quite good.  As a general rule they are saying that they can't get good shots from a workshop.  I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that if I have a good model in a good location I will get a good picture... no matter how many other photographers are there.

That's the point that seems to be missed here.  Water finds it's own level, a good photographer will come out with good pictures, a bad photographer will come out with bad pictures.  But in the case of a photographer who has a legitimate desire to learn, a group shoot or workshop can be a fantastic thing.  You get to see how others do things, sometimes simplifying what your workflow was.  You get the good location, you get the good model... you get everything it takes to not only build your portfolio but to absorb the way things are done, accelerating your own learning curve.

Things are what you make of them.

Apr 11 14 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

K E E L I N G wrote:
I'm not very impressed with the lack of confidence displayed by some of the photographers in this thread who I consider to be quite good.  As a general rule they are saying that they can't get good shots from a workshop.  I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that if I have a good model in a good location I will get a good picture... no matter how many other photographers are there.

That's the point that seems to be missed here.  Water finds it's own level, a good photographer will come out with good pictures, a bad photographer will come out with bad pictures.  But in the case of a photographer who has a legitimate desire to learn, a group shoot or workshop can be a fantastic thing.  You get to see how others do things, sometimes simplifying what your workflow was.  You get the good location, you get the good model... you get everything it takes to not only build your portfolio but to absorb the way things are done, accelerating your own learning curve.

Things are what you make of them.

I don't think it has to do with the ability of the photographer, as much as it has to do with the setting as a whole.  I, personally, don't want to shoot a model wearing a sexy nurse outfit, or posing with a sword while wearing cheap lingerie.  I also don't necessarily want the model to be lit a giant octagon pointed right at her.  The group shoots I've gone to though, have all tended to focus more on that cheesy glam styling and lighting.  For me, it's a waste of my time and money to attend. 

There are some images in my portfolio that were shot at these group shoots, as well as some in the model's portfolio, but most of them were shot during the one-on-one time.  If I'm going to pay anywhere from $80 to $120 for a location to shoot at though, then I'd rather put that money toward renting a nice hotel room and having the model's undivided attention for something longer than a 1/2-hour block of time.

Apr 11 14 11:05 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Eros Fine Art Photo wrote:
Group shoots are great!...if you absolutely NEED to get shots of a sexy model model in cheap, tacky lingerie holding up two curved fantasy swords while standing in front of a modern day garage door.   borat

Oh GOD, that is EXACTLY what I NEED !!!

Thank you!!!

Now, where to find a sexy model model

Apr 11 14 11:15 am Link