This thread was locked on 2011-07-24 10:50:44
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Amy Winehouse found dead... according to news

Photographer

Cinema Photography

Boulder, Colorado, US

This proves Keith Richards is a Highlander. There can be only one.

Jul 23 11 10:49 am Link

Model

BeatnikDiva

Fayetteville, Arkansas, US

alteredstate wrote:
I try not to attend the funerals of dead assholes, I mean, what's the point?
The world is too full of people who die in a car wreck on the way to work supporting their families, or who are shot at a youth camp. My heart aches for these innocent dead, not for someone who controlled her own fate and chose this path.
I dismiss that "tortured soul" crap too.

I'll bet Westboro Baptist Church loves you, too.  Try having a little humanity, geez.

Soul doesn't come easily, neither does the blues, and she had both.

Jul 23 11 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Light Writer

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I followed this thread. I am amazed that my initial response was denial, hoping it wasn't true, then sadness, then anger at the trolls.

Now I'm just sad.

Rest In Peace
The Peace that passes understanding

Jul 23 11 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Bubble77

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

Shon D.- Femme wrote:

Quality > quantity

Hendrix only released 3 studio albums while he was alive, but it was enough to completely revolutionize the way people thought about rock guitar and inspire millions of others (like myself) to pick up the instrument.

Jul 23 11 10:51 am Link

Model

Matt McKay

Bear, Delaware, US

cinema photography wrote:

Keith and Iggy Pop are probably sitting back right now, saying to themselves,"What an amateur".

Honestly though, woop de doo. I didn't even know she was a singer for the longest time, because all she was in the news for was her being druggy screw-up.

Jul 23 11 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Bubble77 wrote:

Hendrix only released 3 studio albums while he was alive, but it was enough to completely revolutionize the way people thought about rock guitar and inspire millions of others (like myself) to pick up the instrument.

I wonder if we'll get to hear what Amy had been putting together for her 3rd?

Jul 23 11 10:53 am Link

Photographer

ArtisticPhotography

Buffalo, New York, US

Wait, it can't be true.  The original article states:

Two ambulance crews arrived at the scene within five minutes and a paramedic on a bicycle also attended, according to a spokeswoman.

... a paramedic on a bicycle ....  WTF.  Is that some sort of colloquial English phrase or idiom???  Seriously ....

Jul 23 11 10:54 am Link

Photographer

Rich Burroughs

Portland, Oregon, US

Damianne wrote:

When that song came out, I knew she was going to die tragically and I knew it was going to piss me off because it was such a troubling message and it was so well sung.

That song actually makes me feel less sorry for her than I might have. People celebrated her for it, they ate it up. And that was before she really started spiraling. Clearly she was making choices.

I honestly thought she'd go sooner.

Jul 23 11 10:55 am Link

Photographer

Rich Burroughs

Portland, Oregon, US

ArtisticPhotography wrote:

Two ambulance crews arrived at the scene within five minutes and a paramedic on a bicycle also attended, according to a spokeswoman.

... a paramedic on a bicycle ....  WTF.  Is that some sort of colloquial English phrase or idiom???  Seriously ....

Do you know they don't have paramedics on bikes there? I've seen lots of cops on bikes here. It doesn't seem that far fetched, especially in a big city.

Jul 23 11 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

I was alive when Hendrix, Joplin, and Morrison passed on, but not old enough to have taken in the significance.

How did the reaction then compare to now?

Ironically, Amy's mother was named Janis.

Jul 23 11 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Jason Haven

Washington, District of Columbia, US

ArtisticPhotography wrote:

In some parts of London (and many cities) its faster to ride a bike than a vehicle.

Jul 23 11 10:58 am Link

Model

modeled

San Diego, California, US

Jul 23 11 10:58 am Link

Model

Matt McKay

Bear, Delaware, US

JC Stuart wrote:
RIP ... so young.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/27_Club

If you even dare to lump her in with those legends you should be shot...

Jul 23 11 11:00 am Link

Model

JadeDRed

London, England, United Kingdom

ASYLUM - Photo wrote:

In some parts of London (and many cities) its faster to ride a bike than a vehicle.

I believe that is the reason.

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

Fiendish Photos wrote:

Christ, another one?

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Photographer

Minx & Fox

Palm Springs, California, US

Fiendish Photos wrote:

There are a lot of "non-legends" on that list too. Scroll down pat the ones with the pictures.

Jul 23 11 11:01 am Link

Model

Elizabeth Claret

Yelm, Washington, US

Fiendish Photos wrote:

hmm

I wonder how many of the people in here who are talking shit about Amy have even heard her music, or are just talking shit because she did drugs.

You know, because none of the legends ever did drugs. neutral

Model

Matt McKay

Bear, Delaware, US

SPRINGHEEL wrote:

Christ, another one?

She had nowhere near as much talent!

Model

Bella la Bell

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Garry k wrote:
In my view Winehouse  was sort of a modern day Billie Holliday ... Genius Talent but a Tortured Soul

and her album Back to Black will stand testament to  her genius for years to come

http://www.waer.org/50women.html
IMO She was ok... but these are the women I think of when I hear JAZZ. Sorry been playing in a jazz band from the time I was 8 and my father and grandfather are jazz sax players. Sooo... I don't count her into Jazz or even Blues honestly. I agree she did have some soal but that's about it.

EDIT- Ok I don't hate on her btw just I didn't care for her music...
Here are a list of ladies IMO whom are more talented then that gal.
Nora Jones, Regina Spektor and Missy Higgins... They are alive and kicking today.

Jul 23 11 11:02 am Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

Fiendish Photos wrote:

Yes, she did

Photographer

Minx & Fox

SPRINGHEEL wrote:

Christ, another one?

People don't know how to read or use the scroll button.

Model

Elizabeth Claret

Yelm, Washington, US

Fiendish Photos wrote:

Jesus christ, shut up. A 27 year old woman is dead, and you're bitching because you have a different opinion of her music than other people.

Have you no sense of tact, seriously?

Jul 23 11 11:03 am Link

Photographer

Minx & Fox

Fiendish Photos wrote:

Take it you still didn't see all the other names on that list. She wasn't on the "legend" list. She was on the "other musician" list.

Jul 23 11 11:03 am Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

Iris Takes Pictures wrote:

People don't know how to read or use the scroll button.

Its one of the biggest issues I have with the internet

No one reads, finds out, comprehends.....they just jerk the knee and piss all over everything...

Jul 23 11 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Chicchowmein

Palm Beach, Florida, US

Elizabeth Claret wrote:

Jesus christ, shut up. A 27 year old woman is dead, and you're bitching because you have a different opinion of her music than other people.

That's a rhetorical question right?

Jul 23 11 11:05 am Link

Model

Matt McKay

Bear, Delaware, US

I say she did it on purpose, just to be included in that list. It's just way too convenient for me.

Photographer

Lawrence Guy

San Diego Country Estates, California, US

ASYLUM - Photo wrote:
But if given the two choices, I'm definitely not mad at her... I more feel a bit of sympathy, because to me she was in need of a lot of help and she didn't get it.

+infinity

Photographer

Minx & Fox

SPRINGHEEL wrote:

Its one of the biggest issues I have with the internet

No one reads, finds out, comprehends.....they just jerk the knee and piss all over everything...

People who use forums on the internet already KNOW EVERYTHING! They don't need to read.

https://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g367/AyameStars/facepalm.gif
This thread is full of {facepalm}

Photographer

Minx & Fox

Fiendish Photos wrote:
I say she did it on purpose, just to be included in that list. It's just way too convenient for me.

Jul 23 11 11:06 am Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

Elizabeth Claret wrote:

I'm trying to find out how to make this a box that pops up when you open this thread.

Jul 23 11 11:06 am Link

Photographer

T H Taylor

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Wow... I am truly heartbroken... She was a wonderful talent and a true artist.

Jul 23 11 11:07 am Link

Photographer

Yves Duchamp - Femme

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

Fiendish Photos wrote:

Didn't you just say you've never heard her music? Shut up, dude. You don't know what the fuck you're even talking about.

Jul 23 11 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Brian T Rickey

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Fiendish Photos wrote:

Give it a break and stay on topic as the MOD warned on the previous page.  How can some people be so dense

Model

Elizabeth Claret

Yelm, Washington, US

Fiendish Photos wrote:

Do you stop and think about what you say before you say it?

Really. Read back over what you said and tell me what part of it seemed like a good idea to you.

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

ASYLUM - Photo wrote:
It's a lot like some people get cancer and can't beat it... some people come into life with mental instabilities... and just like cancer, it *might* be caused by external forces, or it *might* just be how you are built and that's what you have to battle.

Cancer and drug use aren't exactly analogous. While I agree with you on a small level that perhaps some people have a propensity to drug use, ultimately a lot of people use that as an excuse and scapegoat for lack of personal responsibility.

Nobody forced Amy to do that first line of coke, or the fifth, or the 20th. And while I do feel for people who get addicted and actually make an attempt at quitting, we have to place some responsibility on the person for doing it the first time. You can't get addicted to something unless you do it once. Furthermore, her routine of entering and quitting rehabilitation showed she was more concerned with her image of showing people, "Look, I'm going into rehab" and then dropping out all the time. My bet is, going to rehab was stemming more from the advice of her agent than it was for her real desire to get clean.

Jul 23 11 11:10 am Link

Model

Emma - Lee

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom

It disgusts me to see how many people are putting their status' as 'RIP Amy' on facebook, mainly because they want to be one of the first to have known, when a lot of people had their lives taken from them this weekend in Norway.

I do not yet know the circumstances of her death but assuming it was self inflicted, why should she get so much attention and such just because she was well known. The people who lost their lives in Norway were victims.

Jul 23 11 11:10 am Link

Model

Matt McKay

Bear, Delaware, US

Iris Takes Pictures wrote:

People who use forums on the internet already KNOW EVERYTHING! They don't need to read.

This thread is full of {facepalm}

Say's the man who uses an internet meme.

Jul 23 11 11:11 am Link

Photographer

Cinema Photography

Boulder, Colorado, US

cinema photography wrote:

Fiendish Photos wrote:
Keith and Iggy Pop are probably sitting back right now, saying to themselves,"What an amateur".

Honestly though, woop de doo. I didn't even know she was a singer for the longest time, because all she was in the news for was her being druggy screw-up.

So you could see this coming 100 miles away. I mean her biggest hit was about NOT going to rehab. This should shock nobody.

This isnt sad, this is a person wasting a gift. In the end she valued drugs over getting help. Is addiction a disease, yes, could those around her have done more, yes, but you can lead a horse to water, you just can't make them play hopscotch.

Jul 23 11 11:11 am Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

Emma - O wrote:
It disgusts me to see how many people are putting their status' as 'RIP Amy' on facebook, mainly because they want to be one of the first to have known, when a lot of people had their lives taken from them this weekend in Norway.

I do not yet know the circumstances of her death but assuming it was self inflicted, why should she get so much attention and such just because she was well known. The people who lost their lives in Norway were victims.

You're assuming and someone died in both cases, which makes it totally reasonable to be sad regardless of how socially conscientious you think putting one death of the other is.

Jul 23 11 11:12 am Link

Photographer

Minx & Fox

Emma - O wrote:

You can't control what people post on their FB. And there is a thread here on MM for the Onslo bombing.

I think what happened in Norway is a big thing, but people are allowed to talk about more than one subject at a time. This thread is not downplaying what happened in Norway. I think you are being too touchy.

Jul 23 11 11:12 am Link